Chapter 31: electric arrows | Evan

I was shaking Kameron, who had unexpectedly slumped to the ground, trying to rouse her. But she wouldn't wake, and worry was beginning to creep up on me. I was half terrified as I held her, thinking that at any second my weird zapping power would come back and hurt her, but nothing happened, to my relief.

To say that I was shocked to learn I had a power of my own was an understatement. The best way to describe it would be the fact that I was traumatised, especially when I had somehow affected Kameron and Hamish. I'd been trying to avoid physical contact with anyone since, but when Kameron had suddenly fainted, instinct took over and I had found myself catching her.

I would have to be taught how to use my magic, in case I hurt anyone else.

A harsh gust of wind blew into Justina's fire, momentarily tearing it apart, and the magenta haired girl vanished temporarily before reappearing beside me. The Elementalist looked flabbergasted, letting her fire drop instantly. "You teleport?"

"I'm a witch. I know quite a few spells, including ones to find out the reason why she fainted like that," she gestured to the auburn haired girl in my arms. "If you would let me, I can analyse her with my magic."

From the suspicious look Josie was giving her, I could tell that she did not trust the witch. I didn't either, but usually, those who weren't genuine were not patient enough to ask for permission, right? I nodded at the witch. "Okay."

The magenta haired girl bent down and waved a hand over Kameron's face, her eyes screwed shut in concentration. "She's fine. She's just dreaming."

"She fainted because she got pulled into a dream?" I questioned, frowning at how odd that sounded.

"It appears so," the witch replied. "I tried compelling her back out with my magic, but there is another force working against me that is much stronger than I am. I believe that she will wake up once her dream is over. Unless," she glanced up at Brendan. "You have any tricks you can use, witch male?"

Penny glared at her. "Why do you keep calling him that?"

"Because that's what he is. He has the witch's eyes. Anyone could tell instantly, if they were educated enough on witches." The magenta girl said all this offhandedly, not realising how Brendan's eyes widened. "I'm assuming you don't know any tricks, then."

Linny whirled around to face her cousin. "Okay, so you're descended from witches now, too?"

"It's the main reason why we escaped," Brendan confessed, not sounding at all like his usual temperamental self. "My mum was a witch, my dad - your uncle - was just a regular guy from the Ryadion Clan. Queen Lucy was very against witches, and so my dad feared my mum and I would be hunted. So we escaped. I wore contacts to hide the natural colour of my eyes because I was scared that there would be a few of her spies around, waiting to capture any hideaways. I stopped being scared of them, though, when - "

"When you met me," Penny interrupted, grinning when Brendan let out a small groan, only proving that she was right. "I knew I was amazing."

Josie held up a hand. "I couldn't help but notice...did you say your father was from the Ryadion Clan?" Brendan nodded. "So you and your cousin are descendants."

"We are what now?" When Brendan didn't instantly respond, Linny stepped on his foot.

He kicked her right back in the shin. "We're from the Ryadion Clan. According to my dad, it's the clan of minds."

"What the heck does that mean?"

Kameron suddenly let out a sob, curling up in a ball as her body shook. Alarmed, I tightened my arms around her. "Are you okay?"