Chapter Thirty Eight- It's nothing. It doesn't matter

Start from the beginning

"You need to go. Now." He walked to me, grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the door.

"No!" I yanked my arm out of his grip and walked back to the couch. I wasn't going to give up this time.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me what's this all about. You can't kiss me like that and then just push me away. You don't just kiss like that with everyone!" Tears broke out, as I wiped them away. But, they wouldn't stop.

He turned towards me, his deadpanned mask back on his face.

"Why are you doing this?" I felt my legs quivering so I plopped down on the couch.

To my surprise, he brought a glass of water for me.

"I don't want to ignore what's between us either. But, you and me... it won't work. It just won't."

His human self was back.

I hate him for being such a bipolar!

I gulped the water down my throat and before I could say anything, he stood up again and for the first time ever started to pour his heart to me, "I am from North Carolina. I lived in a house of only two rooms; one bedroom and another bathroom, which was even smaller than where I'm living right now. I'd faced poverty like no one had. I had twin eight year old sisters; Lilly and Hailey, and two younger brothers; Joseph who was three and Kyle who had just came into this fucking world.

My mother was an alcoholic and dad... he was a drug addicted gambler. No one cared about me or my siblings. No cared if we ate something or not, if he slept alright or not." Fresh tears streamed down to my cheeks. Listening about his past wasn't going to be easy for me.

Because it hurt.

It hurt so bad.

"Back then, I used to tutor fighting to couple of children on my street, which I'd learnt from my grandfather. That was the only source of income until dad borrowed ten thousand dollars from a gangster. And when he couldn't pay it back because he didn't have any job and my savings weren't enough..."

Evan paused, I could see his eyes glistening. It broke my heart. I knew he held a lot more than his heart could bear.

I couldn't just sit there and watch him feel miserable. So, I stood up and strode towards him.

I held his hand, interlacing my fingers, which perfectly fitted, making me swoon over it.

No... it's not the right time to fantasize!

"I'm listening," I whispered and he held tightly onto my hand.

"The gangster sent his men to get the money back and when he couldn't find my dad, he ordered his men to kill us all. That same day I went for a little walk with kyle in my arms. He was only three months old and just... beautiful. A little thing, smiling and completely unaware of the brutal truth of this fucking world.

Mom and dad didn't give shit about him. When I came back to the house I saw my mom, my twin sisters, and Joseph lying on the floor dead. There was blood. A lot. Of blood. And the funny part was, dad still wasn't in the house. He ran away and never came back until over a year ago..."

I felt his hand clutch my feeble hand even tighter. I squeezed his hand, pulling him down on the couch with me.

"Police came and I heard them say they will put kyle in a foster care. He was my only family, I couldn't let them take him away. So, I ran. I found a place to live and a petty job which at the time was enough for me to buy the bread for us. And my landlady, Miss. Annie, was an extremely kind hearted women who gave me the suggestion of putting Kyle in a hostel when he'd be eligible.

So, I did what she told. She had some connections and she pulled the strings for me too so I could complete school."

"How did you manage everything?" I gaped. Having a three month old when you're yourself a teenage wasn't something I could even imagine.

"She was a great help to me. During my school and job, she used to take care of Ky. And I could never repay her for that."

"Then why you came here?"

"One, because the school she suggested for Ky is here. Second, my dad found me an year ago and threatened to take away kyle with him, because lawfully he's the father—though he never was or would be. I was... I am. When I refused to do so, he asked for money. And I didn't have ten thousand dollars to give him. I thought if I'll run some place far away... I will get away from him.

He took a deep breath. "Guess I was wrong. He found me yet again. He know where I live. He know about you. That I care about you. That I... And because now I'm eighteen and I can ask for Ky's custody-- which would mean having a good reliable job, a better place to live which I don't have- he still can take Kyle away."

"But, he's not good enough. The social services would never let him take Ky."

He shook his head. "But, they'll realize I'm not good enough too and will take him away eventually." his voice shook in the end.

"I can lend you the money. But, not as a deal." I said, looking at him.

He turned his head to me, gazing at me, intently.

"I knew something was different about you the first night we met."

Wait...

I furrowed my brows. "Night?"

He smiled and swiped his thumb over the back of my hand. "At Justin's party. You were pretty drunk. Someone had slipped something in your drink and you were trying to get home alone. So I offered you a ride."

He chuckled.

I was gaping, my eyes so wide. "You were the one who tucked me in my room?" I racked my brain to recall something, anything, but nothing came.

"What? Why are you laughing?"

He smirked. "Because then you puked in your lawn and giggled about your parents getting mad over it. When I saw you trudge away from the front door, I had to make sure you were safe. You asked me to open the back door and I did. Then I took you upstairs to your room and made sure you had plenty of water before you crashed. Then I simply tucked you in and left."

I didn't know what to say.

I was stunned.

Too gobsmacked to even blink.

I felt my cheeks on fire and he smirked at me knowingly.

He stood up, unlinking his hand from mine, and I was immediately drifted away from the warmth his hand provided me.

He ran a hand through his messy hair and spoke, "And about the money... I'll pay you as soon as I can."

"Chill. You can pay me slowly. I have no problem."

"Miss. Rich-y rich." He snorted causing me to pout at him.

"You and me... it can't work, Michelle. We belong to different worlds. But, I can try and be your friend."

I bit my lip refraining tears from barging out yet again.

Can't help if I am so sensitive...

I brushed of the single tear which just dropped before he could notice and smiled up at him.

"Yeah... I guess I'm okay with that. I should probably go now. It's late."

I stood up and left a peck on his cheek, which stiffened his body but, he smiled anyway. "Thank you for letting me in. Your secret's safe with me."

I shut the door behind me and texted Kim to get me. Then refused to cry until Kim came and I settled in the backseat with her.

Then I couldn't stop.

Friends? I couldn't be one even if I wanted to.

_______
VOTE COMMENT AND SHARE

~D <3