Last Time I Speak

"The last time someone saw her, she burst into flames." Melissa spoke poorly of her family. All of them. apparently, were shifters. She was born a human and changed by a stranger. Her family cast her out and she moved away to start a new life.

"And she didn't die?"

"Nope. That's part of the whole shifter thing. I never understood the allure of turning into a bird."

"It's fucking cool." Denis laughed.

"I don't think so." Melissa sighed.

"Right. You rather just suck the life out of people." James chuckled. I wondered what their reactions were when they found out about the whole vampire thing. Because it didn't work out so well for me.

"Honey I did that long before some asshole bit me and left me for dead." Denis cringed slightly at Melissa's words. It seemed as though conversations at the Bruce household went much smoother when I butted the fuck out. I sat in an arm chair in the corner using my phone, but still listening. It seemed that no matter how angry I was at Moose for walking away, I still waiting for his call. I waited for him. I wished he would just ring me and tell me he was wrong and I was wrong and say he loves me like a best friend again and we could both cry and go back to being our little happy a family again. I missed him more than I wanted to admit.

"I don't think I would want to be a vampire." Ciara said decidedly. "It sounds like a lot of work."

"Don't worry. I don't want you to be one either." Ben kissed her on the cheek. Seeing everyone else sitting with their boyfriend or girlfriend made me miss Oliver that much more.

"Well, we aren't changing you either way, so much work." I slowly tuned out of the conversation again and by the time I looked up again I was alone with Melissa. I laughed to myself at how good I had gotten at blocking people out.

"Where'd everyone go?" I asked lightly.

"Pizza." Melissa said boredly. "Leave your brian in the other room, did you?"

"Along with the part of the brain that makes you a reasonable person?" I quipped.

"You know what go fuck yourself." she stood defensively and I matched the gesture.

"Why would I do that when I can just call Denis?" I teased.

"Fuck you. He would never cheat on me with such a stupid fuck."

"Is that why you're so protective? Cause you know he would cheat with a smart fuck?"

"You're such a child." She laughed. "You don't know anything about my relationship, or any relationship for that matter. But for a nineteen year old with a twentynine year old boyfriend, you seem to think you do."

"Don't bring him into this. Oliver-"

"Is the only reason you're anybody? I know. He buys you everything you want, and flies you all around the world at your every whim, and is literally the only reason anyone knows who you are."

"Says you. I have a fucking career. You have a whiney boyfriend and a family that doesn't speak to you. I wonder the fuck why." On every advancement she made I had a rebutle. I wasn't going to let her win. I caught her had just before it would have connected with my face, and twisted her arm back. She ducked out of my grasp and clawed my arm with her long pointed nails, leaving deep cuts in my arm. "Ah," I cried as dark red blood gushed from my bicep.

"You're whole family is either dead or pretends you are." I slapped Melissa had across her pale face.

"Don't you dare," I warned. "Bring my brother into this."

"Oh," She grinned evily. "Strike a nerve there did I?" When I reached to hit her again she pulled both my hands down and my face into her knee cap, all in one swift motion. I fell to the floor in agony as blood dripped from my face. More and more blood.

"I hope you fucking die." I spat.

"You will first." Melissa climbed on top of me and wrapped her long boney fingers around my throat. I struggled under her weight but was, yet again, no match for her strength. I fought to breathe as my heart began to race, struggling and kicking, and doing everything I could to try and get her off of me. She just looked down at me smirking evily as she strangled me, as if she murdered young girls often, and I was but another name on the list.

"Melissa!" I heard a voice scream as my vision began to blur black around the edges.

"What the fuck!" As Melissa was torn off of me she slit my throat with the blade under her finger. Everything started going black. It wasn't deep but it was long.

"Oh god." As I could finally breathe again blood began to gush from my neck onto the carpet.

"Call 911!"

"Kylie look at me." Ben leaned over me, his face over mine. I could hear the panic in his voice. "Kylie just look at me, you're gonna be okay. You have to stay awake for me, okay? You can't close your eyes." He choked up slightly.

"Move," James lifted me onto the couch as I fought to keep my eyes open as my eyelids grew heavier and heavier.

"Get back," Denis said calmly. The room went quiet as he rolled up his thick sweater sleeves.

"Denis-"

"I have to. It's the only way." A bit dramatic there bud.

"No!" James shouted. "No the ambulance will be here any second and they'll take her to the hospital and-"

"She'll bleed to death before they get here!" The last thing I saw before blacking out was Ben nodding, his curling brown hair bouncing with his head. The last thing I felt, were teeth in my neck.