Sweet Revenge by Wordsworth84

Sweet Revenge by Wordsworth84

Fall was the most enthralling time of the year for Gaia. She enjoyed partaking in all the activities that the autumn season offered. Her favorite holiday fell in the fall season, Halloween. Her best friend Tracy's Halloween party was a can't miss event for everyone in their small town of Lanesboro, Minnesota. Her friends and coworkers were buzzing about the party and what Tracy was going to do to top last year's theme The Day Of The Dead. This year the theme was mythical monsters. Gaia spent countless hours preparing her handmade Medusa costume for her friend's annual Halloween bash.

Halloween arrived at long last. Gaia put on her costume and ensured that the double stick tape was going to hold the snake pattern ribbon securely to her chest. She made the finishing touches to her makeup before leaving for the party.

When she arrived Tracy greeted her with a glass of spiked apple cider. Tracy's costume was flawless. She was dressed as Hades wife, Persephone.

"Where's Donnie?" Gaia asked.

"He's around here somewhere. Probably sulking because I gave him a tongue lashing for his costume. We were supposed to match. I dressed like a goddess, but he dressed like Hades from the Disney movie." Tracy replied and rolled her eyes.

Gaia laughed. "Well, at least your husband got the character right this time. Donnie seems to be obsessed with his Disney costumes." She said.

"Yeah, maybe one year I'll do a Disney themed party." Tracy shrugged her shoulders. "I've gotta go play hostess. Help yourself to the appetizers. The stuffed mushrooms are to die for. I'll catch up with you in a bit." She said goodbye and disappeared into the crowd of people.

Gaia found an empty seat on the couch and sat down. She was sipping her drink and watching the party goers. A server dressed as an imp approached her and offered her some Greek style deviled eggs.

"No thanks. I don't like eggs." Gaia responded.

"Fair enough. What's a beautiful woman like yourself doing going stag to the best party of the year?" He asked.

"Look, buddy, I know what you're trying to do here, and I can tell you it's not going to happen. I'm not interested." She said dismissively.

The man scoffed and sauntered away.

Gaia sighed. She polished off her drink and decided she needed to get some fresh air. When she stood, she realized how strong her drink must have been. Her legs were wobbly, and her vision was blurred.

She stumbled through the crowd pushing people out of her way as she desperately tried to reach the front door.

Gaia flung the door open and was greeted by the sound of someone shouting "Trick or Treat!" at her.

Something liquid was tossed at her face. She screamed in agony and tried rubbing the burning sensation from her face. The colored contacts felt like they were melting into her eyes. Gaia fell to her knees and frantically rubbed her eyes. She heard panicked voices around her. People gasped and screamed. She could hear people rushing to leave the party.

"Someone call an ambulance!" Tracy shouted over the chaos.

She heard someone's knees cracking as they knelt down beside her and smelled the familiar, enticing musk of Ralph Lauren Big Pony Red #2 cologne.

"I can't see!" Gaia wailed.

"It's going to be alright. An ambulance is on the way." A male voice she recognized as Donnie's said. He moved her hands away from her face and pressed something cool to her eyes. She felt his soft lips on her ear.

"Between you and me, I think this attack was premeditated. Tracy found out about us, and she set you up. Mark my words, she will pay for this." He vowed.

She heard people entering the house.

"Sir you're going to have to move." A stern male voice said.

"Ma'am, can you see the light in front of you?" Another male voice asked.

Gaia shook her head no. "I can't see anything." She replied.

"Okay." The voice replied.

Gaia felt liquid being poured over her eyes.

"We may have arrived too late. The damage is irreparable. The alkaline in the cleaner might have already caused permanent blindness." A female voice whispered.

"Let's get her to the hospital and let the medical professionals determine that." The stern male voice snapped.

Gaia felt her body being lifted from the ground. Her waist and torso were strapped to a gurney. As who she assumed were paramedics were wheeling her out, the gurney made an abrupt stop. "Just a minute, I want to say goodbye to my friend." She heard Tracy say.

"Make it quick. We need to get her to the emergency room." One of the male voices spoke.

"You've got two seconds." The female voice stated.

"Happy Halloween Gaia. Revenge is the sweetest dish of them all." Tracy whispered. She felt her lips kiss her cheek.

***