Don't Turn Around & Don't Scream by WhiteSkyMint

Don't Turn Around & Don't Speak by 

It was late on this Halloween night, 11:30 pm to be more precise. Except for lampposts lighting up a few spots, it was really dark outside. A young man named Isaac seemed irritated and exhausted as he walked down the streets. He kept going from one place to another and it was obvious that he was lost. After all, he was in a city he barely knew. Coming only for a show, that had ended half an hour ago, quickly turned a good day into a bad one. Isaac should have been in bed, sleeping, but he couldn't find his way back to his hotel. 

He should have asked for directions, he should have thought more about it. If he had, he wouldn't have to let out a disappointed sigh whenever he was seeing a bus or a taxi driving by. He didn't know what to do or think anymore. He was tired and his mind was running blank. Isaac was starting to regret coming in an unknown city in the first place. 

As he walked by a building, he could hear two people fighting. It wasn't clear what they were yelling, but Isaac didn't stay around to pay more attention to it. He kept going, hoping he could recognize the hotel he had made a reservation in. He turned at a random street and was suddenly aware of the footsteps behind him. Isaac wasn't one to be scared easily. Even if it was dark and that he was alone, it didn't change the way he felt about it. 

Five minutes went by and the person behind Isaac was still there. He was convinced that he was being followed by that stranger. His heart was beating faster and faster, a fear now running through his veins. When Isaac would hear a strange sound, he would froze in place before walking even faster.

It was that way until he was met with silence. He looked behind him for the first time, since the past minutes. His breath caught in his throat as he was aware of how close his follower was. Taking several steps back, Isaac tried to scream but no sounds came out. If he had been scared earlier it was nothing compared to what he was feeling at that moment. He turned back around and tried to run, only to be stopped by the man holding his arm in a firm grip. 

"Where do you think you are going?" growled the man. 

Isaac gulped audibly, but remained quiet. He had no idea who that man, probably in his fifties, wanted and he didn't want to stay around to find out either. He tried to let him drop his arm, but he wouldn't budge. 

"Cat got your tongue?"

"N-no." 

The old man looked at the youngest, an eyebrow raised and said. "I know you heard and saw that fight."

"I haven'-"

"There's no need to deny it, I saw you."

"I-"

"I just want things to be clear." The old man said, pushing Isaac towards a wall of the closest building. His hands were on each sides of the young guy's face. "You won't talk to anyone about what you witnessed or I'll have to give you another warning that won't be as nice. Understood?" 

Isaac nodded, feeling uncomfortable under the man's gaze. "Got it." 

"Good. Now, leave before I change my mind and decide to make you regret being alive."

He didn't need to be told twice, he ran from the man. Isaac didn't know how far he went, but when he stopped to catch his breath he could see an hotel. It was the one he had been trying to find. He swore quietly and headed towards it. 

He took a shower and was about to go to bed, when someone knocked at the door. He frowned and hesitantly opened the door to see no one was there. Shrugging, he was about to close it when he noticed a paper on the floor. He picked it up and read the words written on it. "Don't turn around and don't scream."

Shivering, the paper fell from his hands. He did the exact opposite of what he had been told. All he would ever be able to recall was that everything went black. The darkness enveloped him in this Halloween night to leave him speechless forever.

***