The Keys - A TAWoG Adventure Chapter 25

Tobias and Damien kept following the shadows or the silhouettes of their teachers until they reached a long wide corridor with a ceiling so high and grand, the walls and the floor carpeted, with flower-filled vases standing on supports jutting out each seven inches away on the sides of the room. A couple of well-cushioned chairs or sofas were also placed neatly within the room. A door stood out on the left corner of the area, where you could see that it was wooden, but looked tight and strong that even a bulldozer can't ram through.

The rainbow lad would've figured this wasn't the detention room after all, and they were just in the wrong area, but then a shrill scream erupted the hallway, piercing through both of the boys' ears, making them cringe. Tobias lurched and tried to shut out the noise, and in the meantime, Damien just stood there, his face contorted into disgust at the horrible sound, but did nothing against it.

Once the noise died down, you could hear mere sobbing from the door in the corner, before there was a cracking noise. The sobs dissipated and everything was silent.

Tobias shakily straightened up and reluctantly glance at the bee, who showed no expression with little success. It was obvious even he was afraid out of his wits, from the beads of sweat running down his forehead or the trembling of his hands and fingers. And at this, Damien just scoffed and stuffed his arms deep into his pant's pockets.

"So . . ." Mrs. Hemms hissed in joy. "Do you enjoy the sweet sound of pain from a ludicrous brat? If you asked me, she deserved it, for whatever she has done yesterday."

Tobias held back the urge to snap and tell her to just shut up. He doesn't wanna double his punishment! But . . . He could do this. He swivelled his head around at the ghoul teacher and just shot her a deadly glare. At this, Hemms widened her ruby-red eyes in surprise before quickly glancing away. It's as if she was afraid to look at him straight in the eye.

"Now, now, who's willing to go first?" Mr. Sanders muttered, his arms crossing. He eyed both the boys warily, watching them cower and tremble. A silence rang after that, and nobody spoke a word or sound. 

Tobias wanted to complain. Tobias wanted to run away. He wanted to hide forever, he wants someone to be there for him, he wants a miracle to happen right here, right now.

But alas, luck and guts just aren't here for him right now. 

All of a sudden, the door at the corner of the room opened, and out came the brown bunny from yesterday, now full of scratches and gashes, blood freshly dripping from them. She glanced up and found the two boys staring at her, to which she responded by glaring down at the floor and marching past all of them. All of a sudden, Tobias could see something nobody else could see. On the corner of the rabbit’s mouth, he could see a piece of fabric hung, stained with blood. Also, he could see tears flowing from her eyes down to the side of her face, but she did a good job hiding the pain. His head suddenly throbbed at the sight, and he couldn’t help but widen his eyes.  As she turned around a corner and her footsteps died away, the rainbow boy was not sure on how he should react. Was it him, or he’s no longer feeling scared or confused? As if his sense of fear was turned off.

He was not feeling any braver, but his body switched to numbness, to the point where he couldn’t even feel Damien shivering beside him in fright. Sanders and Hemms glanced at the both of them, apparently waiting for their reactions. The bee just clenched his teeth and clasped his eyes shut, cowering behind the rainbow lad. Damien broke down, and all feelings of panic that he tried to cover up a while ago now erupted within the young student. But Tobias . . . he was not exactly sure. He just stared back at the two teachers, the numb feeling still spreading throughout his body. Hemms was startled by this reaction and took a slow step back.