Chapter Nineteen

Song of the chapter – If I Lose Myself by One Republic

The community was buzzing with activity when Eliana and Zolen returned from training

The community was buzzing with activity when Eliana and Zolen returned from training. Each person was involved in some task to prepare for the holiday.

"How have I missed that all of this was going on?" Eliana wondered.

"You've been otherwise occupied," he said with an upturned mouth.

"Is that a smirk I see?" Eliana asked, shocked at his miniature display of humor.

"What do you mean?" Zolen replied, in all seriousness. "What did I do?"

Eliana just laughed. "It appears that Harper is rubbing off on you." She shook her head as she said it.

"She hasn't rubbed me at all. I'm not sure what you are referring to. Has she said something to you?" His face gave evidence to his confusion, with his features forced together in a scowl.

"No, nothing. Never mind." It was obviously a useless conversation.

They continued to walk through the main path of the Fae community, watching as the scurry and flutter of decorating took place. Each house was lined with a shiny strip of some type of ribbon, all tied in knots along a rope and strung up like Christmas lights. The slight seasonal breeze blew the bits of silver just enough to catch sparkles from the sun as they moved.

"These won't be as pretty at night without the sunlight for them to catch," she remarked sadly. She felt she had missed the best part.

"Oh, no it will be much better at night. You'll see." Zolen assured her as he kept to the path toward her small quarters. As they approached the door, it opened and Harper stepped out to greet them, still looking as though she had spent yet another day playing with the young Fae.

"Well, looks like you got another early send off from Mr. Stick up his-"

"Harper!" Eliana interrupted.

"What? I just call it like I see it." She shrugged. "Anyway, we have tons to do, and it appears that you are Her Majesties special guest."

Eliana's eyebrows shot up, "What do you mean?" She looked back at Zolen for some type of explanation, but he just shook his head. Eliana turned back to Harper and found her friend with a knowing look.

"Come on." She grabbed Eliana by the elbow and led her back into the main room of their guest quarters, which had fast become their own little home. Eliana didn't bother to protest as Zolen called out his goodbyes, saying he'd see them at the celebration.

"But I thought it wasn't until tomorrow?" Eliana asked as he walked away.

"True," Harper interjected, "But it seems that preparing for Finding Night is a pretty big deal, and since we don't have the proper attire, the Queen sent her personal caretaker to make some for us." Harper gestured over to a young Fae, looking no more than sixteen Earth years old.