“Sheesh, Edward,” complained Emmett. “Hold it together, will you? He's just gonna talk to Bella.”

But Jasper moved no closer to me; he peered at me curiously, as if I were an interesting specimen he wished to examine. “Don't worry, darlin',” he said with a soft but definite Southern drawl. “Esme and Carlisle will be fine, whatever you choose to do. You just do the best thing for you, and we'll all be fine.”

“Speak for yourself,” interrupted Emmett with a frown. “You can't leave us, Bella. Who else would I watch movies with and bother all day? You know I need ya.”

Alice snorted in a definitely unladylike manner. “Yes, you need to tease her and make her life miserable,” she grinned, winking at me, lightening the mood of the room for a moment.

I cracked a smile at long last, and Alice looked inordinately pleased with herself.

Emmett was immediately on the defensive. “Bella, you know how I love to tease you, but really.” His smile faded, and the jovial note in his voice faded. “You gotta stay, chickie.”

I felt tears welling in my eyes...again. God, I hated all this crying! Maybe it was because of my weakness while getting better after what happened. But I really hated crybabies...and here I was becoming the Queen of the Waterworks.

Ew.

I sniffled noisily as Emmett stepped forward and gave me a gentle hug, ignoring what sounded like a growl from Edward and quite possibly some muttered threats. With a kind of choking sound, big and burly Emmett turned on his heel and disappeared much faster from my room than I thought possible, Jasper on his heels.

I tried to surreptitiously wipe my eyes, hoping that Edward and Alice wouldn't notice my tears...although nothing seemed to escape their sharp eyes. However, they seemed to be locked in a silent debate. Staring hard at each other, Alice kept shaking her head at Edward whose face was stricken with something that appeared to be panic or fear. Then as Edward sighed heavily and pinched the bridge of his nose between his fingers, Alice began jumping up and down like a pogo stick, clapping her hands excitedly.

“That's it,” she crowed. “You've got it, Edward!”

Edward's beautiful mouth was agape in shock, and he somehow seemed even paler than before...which I wasn't sure was even possible.

The rest of the family was back in my room in a split second in response to Alice's excited call and applause. One minute Edward and Alice were the only Cullens in my room, and a blink of an eye later, my room was packed full.

Sometimes this family seriously creeped me out.

“What is it, Alice?” Carlisle asked, his eyes hopeful.

She turned to him, her eyes glowing. “It's simple, really. We just tell Bella the truth.”

Edward was still frozen in consternation, shaking his head in the negative. He swallowed hard, tried to speak, and couldn't. Closing his eyes, he swallowed again. “No,” he managed to whisper roughly. “She can't know. It's too dangerous.”

Emmett jumped in at this point. “Dude, she already knows about the wolves. What's so different about us?”

Now that was interesting.... Did the Cullens change into some kind of animal, too?

Edward glared at his larger brother with such ferocity that Emmett took an automatic step back. Whoa. I didn't think much could intimidate huge, burly Emmett, but apparently Edward could...at least now. Edward was really wound tightly, and I felt a deep sorrow in watching his extreme worry. My chest seemed to ache with how much I hated to see him this upset.