Chapter 8

The next morning Sam woke up to the blaring of his phone. Groaning, he pulled his Egyptian silk sheets and doona over his head, and buried his face in his duck feather filled pillow.

"Go away Dex" he moaned, as the familiar ringtone of his best friend Declan, finally penetrated through the layers of sleep in his drowsy mind. The phone stopped ringing, "Thank the lord" he muttered, before closing his eyes again. Five seconds later, the phone started ringing all over again. Sam cursed and covered his ears. He knew that Declan would keep ringing until Sam picked up, mostly to annoy him than anything else. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. Stretching his cramped body, he reached over his huge bed and started fumbling on his bedside table for his phone. Just as he was about to press accept, it stopped ringing. Please don't ring, please don't ring, please don't ring he chanted in his head. It rang. Cursing, he brought his phone up to his ear.

"What the hell do you want Dex?" he was met by laughter on the other end of the line.

"Did sleeping beauty just wake up?" Dex's smooth voice melted through the phone. It was with that smooth, charming voice, that Dex could get any girl he wanted. Both Sam and Dex had perfected it long ago. Dex started his low chuckling again.

"Shut the fuck up Dex. Yes, I did just wake up. But what can you expect, it's like 6am"

"Oh buddy boy Sammy" Dex replied in a sarcastic, pitiful voice "It's nearly noon"

Sam focused his still blurry eyes and glared at the clock on the wall. The numbers slowly came into focus. 11:47, he sighed. "So it is. But that doesn't change the fact that I should still be sleeping right now"

"Late night last night?" Dex asked. "Or was it just a long day?" he finished suggestively. Sam didn't answer. "Dude! I can't believe you skipped out on The Scouting. Where were you all day?"

Sam thought back to the day he had spent with Zoe. A small grin played at his lips.

"Out" Sam responded.

"'Out' my ass. Hah, just realised how that sounded. Anyway, you'll tell me eventually. Your mum must have flipped her shit when you came home."

"The queen flips her shit at everything" Sam grumbled losing his moment of happiness.

"Yeah well..." Dex trailed off not knowing what to say. He knew it was true.

"What do you want Dex?"

"Well Mr. Grumpy pants, what I really wanted, was to know where you were yesterday, but it seems like you're not inclined to tell me. Not now anyway. The other thing I was going to say, is that you should probably haul ass, and get up. My dad heard that the queen's not to impressed with you and wants to, and I quote, 'pick up where she left off last night' with you in your room.

"My mum should really think about what she says before she says it. You know how that sentence sounded didn't you"

Dex laughed, "Tell me about it. Even dad couldn't hold in a grin when he heard. But anyway, she's been waiting for you all morning, put her schedule on hold and everything. And because you're not down yet, she's getting angrier by the minute"

"Maybe I should stay in bed all day, just to see her explode"

"Not a good idea bro. Besides, I also heard something about if you're not in the blue dining hall by 12, she'll get one of the guards to drag you down by your ears"

"Guards" this got Sam attention. "Did she say which one?" No way in hell was he being dragged by Zoe's boyfriend- or any of them for that matter.

"I don't think so, but I'm assuming it will be a higher guard. After all, she's in a really bad mood, and I don't think any of the lower guards would be brave enough to face not only her wrath, but yours. But why does it matter anyway, which guard takes you. Any of them would be just as embarrassing as any other, if you ask me"