Chapter 2

Zoe sat, staring at the prince for a full solid minute. She bet her face looked comical, wide eyes and jaw slack. I'm actually sitting with the crown prince. Prince Samuel is sitting opposite me. Royal blood is starting at me. The next in line for the throne is smirking at me. The future king of my country is mocking me. Wait. Hold it.

"What?" Zoe snapped, wiping the gobsmacked look off her face, and replacing it with a glare.

The prince chuckled.

"You're asking me 'What?' when you were the one staring at me like I was an alien."

"No I wasn't," Zoe retorted, crossing her arms and shaking her head in denial. Deny, deny, deny.

"Well, you must have been staring at me for my good looks then. I've been told I'm gorgeous, but..." he began with a smirk.

"No. I was a little dumbfounded; that's all," she redeemed.

"Don't worry I would be too if I met me as well. I'm pretty amazing."

What the heck? Is this guy serious? Is he rally that vain and self-centred? Zoe unbelieving thought.

"Amazing, no. Arrogant and conceited, yes," she responded.

"If by arrogant and conceited you mean, confident and sexy, then yes."

Yes, she decided. He really was that self-centred and vain. No big surprise there.

"No. When I say arrogant and conceited, that's exactly what I mean. 'Your Highness'," she ridiculed.

He seemed to consider that for a second, searching her face for any signs of amusement. He would find none. Looking pretty dumbstruck, he stared at her. Hadn't he ever been insulted before? Zoe wondered. Guess not, being the prince and all. Well, she wouldn't hold back from telling this jerk how rude he was being. If there was one type of person Zoe couldn't stand, it was mean, uncaring people. She had enough of them in her life.

Avoiding his narrowed but calculating expression, that she could feel through the aviators, she turned around and called out to the waitress.

"Hey Ashley! We'll grab two coffees and a blueberry muffin each!"

Smiling and giving Zoe a nod, Ashley walked behind the bar to get their order ready.

"You're paying" she told the prince, with a tone that left no room for arguments. He just continued looking at her.

"You're serious about me being arrogant and conceited?" he finally asked.

"I'm sorry if I've insulted you, 'Your Royal Highness Prince Samuel Alexander Zachary Richyards,' she said scornfully, "but I will not put up with jerks and their... jerk-ish attitude."

"Please, stop calling me 'Your Highness' with such disgust, just call me Sam." he began. "And no, I wasn't insulted, just surprised. It's not every-day I get people telling me the truth to my face." he replied honestly.

Wait he already knew that he was a rude jerk, and he wanted her to call him Sam? Zoe tried to read into his expression, but it was a little hard with her aviators still covering his eyes. Before she could think any longer about it, he began talking again in that charming voice of his.

"You know what's funny? You know my entire full name, and probably my whole family tree, when I don't even know your first name's initial."

"Don't flatter yourself and, no. This is a temporary union. You don't need to know my name".

"Pleaeeese" she could imagine him fluttering his eyelashes like poor innocent puppy.

"No." she told him firmly.