Chapter 6

A/N

Hey amazing people.

OHMYGOOOOOOOOOOOSH, so many reads!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! I really appreciate all the comments and votes :)

So I've updated, FINALLY. YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

Super sorry about the wait.

I spent a lot, and I mean A LOT of time writing and re-writing. Something just wasn't quite right... Anyway I hope you like it!!

Tell me what you think in the comments below :)

ENJOY

_________________________

Inside the car, Zoe and Max were jamming to music on the radio, singing loud enough-- and badly enough-- to wake the dead. The song that was playing was one of those ones that had a really high and long note at the end. The build-up to the final note was intense, but Zoe and Max shared a grin, they knew what they had to do. As the artist hit the last note perfectly, Zoe and Max sang like opera singers, but couldn't hold the note for long before they burst out laughing. As the song changed to something slower, Zoe leant her head on the window and looked out through the glass, still smiling. She watched the buildings and trees and parks fly past. The car slowed when they came up to the usual turn-off to her apartment, but Max turned the opposite direction.

"Hey, where're we going? My apartment's the other way" she asked, confused.

"Oh really? I had no idea" he responded jokingly.

"Then where're we going?"

"I wanted to take you out to dinner"

"Dinner?"

"Yep. Dinner and a date"

"A dinner date?"

"Well, it's more like a snack and a date"

"You're taking me on a snack-date"

"Sure am"

"Why?"

"Because"

"Because why?"

"Because I want to" He shrugged, a small blush on his cheeks and a little grin on his lips. Zoe smiled back then looked down at her lap, a little embarrassed. Her eyes met a coffee splatter on her jeans. She frowned.

"Max, I'm not dressed for a restaurant"

He reached over and took her hand. "You look beautiful Zoe" he squeezed it reassuringly. "You always do. But who said we were going to a restaurant?"

"But I thought you--" Zoe cut off as her eye caught the familiar buildings and streets outside the window. She began to beam and bounce excitedly on her seat when she realised where they were heading. Downtown's drive in movie theatre. Max pulled up to the side of the ticket house, and Zoe read the title off the poster of the movie that was going to be played. It was an old rom-com, a favourite of hers, in fact.

"You hate rom-coms Max" Zoe questioned

He smiled and started drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, a Max-giveaway that he was nervous or self-conscious.

"Yeah, but you love them" he said quietly with a shrug. "And Em told me this was your favourite rom-com of all time, so..."

Emily 'Em' North was Zoe's crazy best friend. She and Em had met when they were three in kindergarten. Mean four year old red-head Josh Tucker, had thrown a mud pie at Emily and had called Zoe ugly. So, in return, Zoe had pushed him into the mud-pit and Em called him a Tomato-Hair, Horse-Faced, Booger-Eating, Butt-Sniffing Little Poo-Brained Weasel. They'd been best friends ever since. They knew everything about each other and shared many common interests; chocolate, travelling, sleeping, movies- especially rom-coms, which Max absolutely loathed. That brought her back to the current situation. Max was willing to put himself through his version movie-torture for her love of sappy, lovey-dovey, happy ending movies.