two

The kids had followed Mila's directions pretty well. They were crowding away from the school, and moving towards the plaza. That was good, she supposed. With everyone in one spot, it was easier to take care of them. Not that Mila wanted to do that.

She got to the edge of the school's property and stopped before the road. There weren't any cars, which was a bad sign. It meant there wasn't anyone looking for them. She looked south and saw the tall steeple of the church, the only one in Perdido Beach. Ironic that God might have done this, and the church still stood straight in the center, like nothing had happened.

"Mila!" It was Karis. She ran up from Sam and Quinn, who were waiting by the playground.

"I thought you weren't waiting for me," Mila said. Karis looked to be in better shape, you couldn't tell she had been crying.

The two girls walked to the edge of the playground, which was close to Quinn's house. "Finally, let's go." Quinn started walking.

"He's really anxious," Sam explained. Karis rolled her eyes as if to agree, but Mila knew she secretly felt the same way.

The four of them crossed Golding Street onto Sheridan Avenue. Quinn walked ahead of them, he had the longest legs.

"I wish he wouldn't walk so fast." Karis mumbled as she dragged her feet.

Mila took the chance to look around. Nothing seemed particularly disturbed, but it was really empty. There wasn't anyone outside except for a couple kids here and there, walking to their houses.

"Do you think we're the oldest ones here?" Sam asked Mila. She thought about it. The closest high school was an hour's drive away, so it would make sense that they didn't see any older kids. But she hadn't seen anyone older than her at all.

"Probably." Mila didn't like giving uncertain answers, but it was all she had. Sam stayed quiet from then on, and Karis walked in front of them.

As they approached the corner of Sheridan and Alameda, they noticed something out of place. A car, with the engine still running, had crashed into a Toyota SUV parked in someone's driveway. The car alarm was on full blast, alternating between loud bursts and complete silence.

Mila put her hand on the door handle and pulled on it. "It's locked. Nobody opened the door from the inside to get out."

"Someone was driving and blinked out." Quinn said. He peered in the window. The airbags were deployed, but there wasn't anyone in the car.

"It wasn't just the school that had its adults disappear." Karis mentioned. A look of terror crossed her face. "Mila, can you come inside my house with me?"

Karis's house was somewhat across from Quinn's, so they said goodbye to the boys when they went into Quinn's house.

Karis didn't live in a big house, but the exterior was the nicest in the neighborhood. "My mom really loves decorating." Karis had always complained.

As they walked up the two front steps, Mila noticed Karis's garage door was open. The Addisons would never leave their garage door open. "Wait." Mila grabbed Karis by the shoulder and pointed at the garage.

"Mom!" Karis exclaimed as she ran down the steps and across the driveway. Mila followed her to her mom's car, where the driver's door was open.

She didn't see the look on Karis's face when she noticed, but she could imagine. "My mom was about to get in the car." Karis sadly put her hand on the driver's door and closed it. "She disappeared."

"Karis, I'm so sorry-" Mila tried to say, but Karis was running inside her house. Mila ran after her, trying to call her, but Karis was yelling.

"Mom? Dad? Daniel?" Karis repeated over and over as she ran around her house. Mila gave up on following her and took a seat at the bar by the kitchen, putting her head down. Karis's parents were just as much Mila's parents, especially since her own mom barely acknowledged her existence.