Chapter Nine - The Student

"Yes, these will do nicely," Ruth said as she inspected the materials Ivy had collected for her. "Here, I have compiled another list of things I need."

Ivy gave an exasperated sigh, though she clamped her hand over her mouth just a moment later, as if shocked at her own impertinence.

"Sorry, Ruth," she squeaked. "I just... Why don't you come with me? Get some fresh air."

"Now you sound like Thomas," Ruth said as she folded her arms.

"Well, I mean... Maybe he has a point? You never leave the house unless he's dragging you to a ball."

"He and I have calculated every event I need to attend to appear sociable. Balls have more people of high standing attending than any other event, so attending them allows me more time between outings."

"You really hate leaving the house that much?"

"Yes," Ruth said as if it was a completely obvious sentiment.

Ivy sighed. "I just... I... I don't mean to complain, but you're sending me out to pick up materials so often that it seems as if I barely see the inside of the workshop anymore."

"You're the only one I trust to get the things I need."

"I know, and I am thankful for that trust, but... I kind of feel more like a stooge than an apprentice."

Ruth sighed, frustration building. She didn't have anyone else to send to get the materials without messing it up. As it was, Ivy's arrival had solved a lot of problems for her when it came to material acquisition.

But, as she turned to Ivy to explain as much, she noted that the girl's fists were gripping her skirts so tightly that her knuckles had significantly paled. She wondered why she would be doing such a thing, looking her over for any other signs of distress. It took her a moment to realise that her jaw was firmly set, but her eyes were slightly wide. She was scared but trying not to be.

Another few moments of consideration brought Ruth to the realisation that Ivy wasn't intentionally trying to complicate things for her. She was just trying to stand up for herself.

Ruth would have probably argued the point further if Thomas hadn't also critiqued her decision to use Ivy for every trip to purchase materials for her. He had been worried about Fralsen spies, though Ruth hadn't taken his concern seriously. Fralsen's attitude towards The Owl had always been to ignore him and hope that he went away. Ruth had once hoped to spur them into innovation, but that now seemed a lost cause.

Regardless, Thomas had worried that constantly having the same person making purchases on her behalf would make her easy for Fralsen spies to track. Ruth didn't believe that these spies existed, but if Ivy was also starting to tire of the trips...

"Fine. You may hire another person to go on these trips for you. See Thomas about the money. However, I will have nothing to do with it, I refuse to see this person, and you are still in charge of making sure that everything is exactly as I have asked for it. I refuse to work with sub-par materials."

Ivy nodded with a grin. "Of course. That's fine. I'll go and sort it out now."

Ruth gave a nod of consent but still stopped Ivy just before she left the room. "I just wanted to say... I apologise if I am not all that you had hoped I would be as a mentor. I've not had a student before and, as you have possibly gathered, I do not know how to handle the company of others. You are a quick study, so I have opted to just leave you to your own devices, but if that's not enough..."

Ivy shrugged. "You talk when you work, and Thomas has been kind enough to provide me with money to get any books I want to teach myself. I'm catching up."

Ruth felt guilty at that. As much as Ivy said it was enough, she very much felt as if she was just trying to make Ruth feel better about her neglect.

"Perhaps I could take a look at one of those projects you have been working on," Ruth proposed. "I'll give you any assistance you need. Or just a critical eye, if you would prefer."

"Truly?"

Ruth shrugged. "There's nothing particularly pressing. Thomas probably won't be happy with me taking my time with building a body for Mech, but it's not the end of the world."