Chapter Ten - The Invitation

"Now, Mech, what do you see?" Ruth asked the metal skull resting on the table, which was now connected to a glowing blue tube that Thomas had acquired for them. An aether core. Ruth had been sure that she wouldn't get her hands on one for years, given their potential volatility, but now that it was in her hands, she felt no sense of danger, only wonder.

How quickly the world was changing before her very eyes. And her hands would help to sculpt it.

"You and Miss Ivy, I believe," Mech replied after a while. "Is that truly what humans look like?"

"I should think so, assuming you have not mistaken the table for us or anything like that. Or, at least, the well-endowed women look like this at any rate."

Ivy failed to hold back a surprised bark.

"What?" Ruth asked her.

"Nothing. I'm just not used to being referred to as 'well-endowed'. Especially not from a lady such as yourself."

Ruth rolled her eyes. "I was merely being factual. I have quite the womanly figure, but I think you have me beat. It's difficult to tell with the height difference. You are so much shorter than me."

Ivy glared at her, but her failure to contain her smile betrayed its facetious nature.

"Could you perhaps not move so much?" Mech asked them. "You have become a blur."

Ruth sighed. "Unfortunately, that is something you will have to get used to. I haven't yet managed to get the exposure time to what I want. It's only a few seconds but, if someone moves, you will see it as blurred, and you'll only get a new image once it's finished exposing."

"I shall endeavour to adjust."

"Thank you. Though I also lament your lack of depth perception. I have yet to figure out how to have you process two images to judge distance."

"I am sure I will manage," Mech assured her. "May I test my body now?"

"Not quite," Ruth told it. "The right shoulder is giving me a bit of bother. Give me until tomorrow to have it fixed up."

"Of course."

"I'll get you some more tea," Ivy said as she headed out of the door, only to come rushing back a moment later. "It's James! James is back."

Ruth nodded as they both hurried to get changed.

By the time Thomas had brought James up the stairs, they at least managed to look vaguely respectable.

"James," Ruth greeted. "This is a surprise. You have been quite scarce around here lately."

She hoped that her tone wasn't such that he thought she was making light of the fact that she had rejected him. She was very aware that that was the reason he hadn't been around.

"Well, I hadn't planned to be back so soon, if I'm being honest, but this situation with The Owl is getting a little bit ridiculous. I cannot extend a contract to someone I have not met. So, if he will not meet with me, I have an invitation from someone he cannot refuse."

"Someone he cannot refuse?" Ruth asked as James passed her the invitation.

"Here. I believe you are familiar enough with him to pass the message along for me," he said curtly before turning to leave.

Ruth rolled her eyes as soon as his back was to her. If he was going to be petty over her rejecting him, he could at least have the good graces to do it far from her presence.

Ivy escorted him out as Ruth turned her attention to the letter in hand.

She froze as she read.

Thomas frowned at her as she finished. "What did it say?"

"Queen Victoria has asked that The Owl attend a ball she is hosting," Ruth finally managed. "It seems she wishes to discuss his inventions in person."

Thomas paled. "It seems our bluff has been called. It will be impossible to lie our way out of this one."

"Is there truly nothing we can do? We could accept and then say he has the flu at the last moment."

"They are already suspicious. No, The Owl not attending will most likely end the deal and bring us increased scrutiny."

Ruth sighed, folding her arms. She didn't want to give up. She had been so aimless before she had found inventing, always feeling out of place in a world not built with her in mind. Inventing had given her a sense of purpose and this contract had been something to strive for. As much as she mocked Thomas using his money to keep score, she was doing the exact same thing.

Ruth wanted The Owl to be one of the greatest names of the age, and working for the Crown would certainly help her along the way.

Thomas sighed, folding his arms. "Perhaps we can hire an actor to pretend to be The Owl. Not that I know any, or would trust any to keep their mouths shut."

Ruth hummed in thought as she looked back towards the workshop, seeing Mech's head resting on the table through the slightly ajar door.

"I think I have a better idea," Ruth said before hurrying through to her workshop.