Chapter Thirty Three

The next morning, the sun shone with promise. Stirring awake, Misty checked the time on her clock. 9:03. Man, did it feel good to sleep in so late for a change. Misty stretched her arms over her head, not feeling as rejuvenated as expected, but then again it was a long, long night. 

            Misty was still playing over her and Clay's fight in her head when she remembered to check her phone. To her surprise, there was a text from Clay, in response to last night when she had asked him if they broke up. Clay had texted, "No, we didn't break up, nor do I want to. But I honestly just don't know where to go from here."  Misty was relieved that they hadn't broken up, but she still wasn't content with his response. 

          Sighing, Misty rolled out of bed, getting dressed for the day. She kept Clay's sweatshirt on, even though it was too big on her; she just wanted to feel like he was still close to her. Just as she was about to walk out of her bedroom, Misty saw the two pairs of Wranglers she had gotten for Clay as their anniversary gift. It was then that Misty decided she would make a trip over to Clay's loft today during his noon day break. 

           After putting on her boots, Misty headed outside. Walking to the barn, she decided that she would work with Casper some. It had been a couple weeks since she was able to work with him, and she still didn't feel like he was thoroughly broke under saddle yet. 

          Grabbing his tack from the tack room, Misty passed Jace. "Hey, Misty. Happy belated." He smiled, following Misty into the tack room. 

           "Thanks. Missed seein' you yesterday." 

           "Yeah, I had to go pick up grain and drop off some of the shipments. I was bummed I missed the festivities, but I still got you a card. It's in my truck. Remind me to give it to you later." Jace grabbed Casper's saddle for Misty, following her out to the round pen. 

            "Thank you. You didn't have to do that." Misty grinned at her best friend. 

            "Sure I did. I have gotten you something every year that we have been friends, so I'm not going to stop now. Especially since you're 20. You're getting old now." He played.

             "Oh you hush up. You're older than I am." Misty walked back to the side lot to fetch her horse. 

             "That's true. So, I have to ask." Jace started, opening the gate for Misty. "Did something happen with you and Clay last night?" 

             Misty hesitated, knowing how much Jace disliked it when her and Clay fought. Jace thought it meant that Clay was mistreating Misty, even when that wasn't the case. Knowing the truth was always the best, Misty replied, "Yeah, we got into a pretty big fight. Why do you ask?" She slipped the halter on over Casper's nose, clipping on the lead rope. 

            "He was really on edge this whole morning. He's as grumpy and short as he was before y'all started datin'. I figured something had to have happened." Jace walked with Misty and Casper back to the round pen. 

              "Yeah. I'm fixing to go over there at noon, after I work with Casper some." Misty explained, grabbing the lunge line from beside the round pen gate.

              "Probably smart. Mind if I stay and watch you work with him?" Jace asked, pointing to Casper.

              "Yes please." Misty replied, sending her horse out to lunge. 

              Jace hopped up to sit on the top of the round pen fence. "How are things goin' with him otherwise?" 

               "Really good. He's still moody sometimes, and a little sour every once in a while. We have our good days and our bad days. But in the end, I still love him, even when he doesn't listen to me. I need to work with him more, though." Misty whistled to her horse, asking him into a lope.