Chapter Twenty Nine

"So, your birthday is coming up. Any idea what you want?" Clay asked Misty, waiting for the microwave to beep off. 

            Misty grabbed another tissue out of the box on the coffee table. "Yeah, to get rid of this nasty cold." She buried her nose in the white paper, blowing noisily. Crumbling it into a ball, Misty tossed it into the trash can Clay had brought out to her earlier.

            Clay grabbed the hot mug of water from the microwave, dropping in a bag of tea, topping it off with some honey. Careful to not spill the hot liquid, Clay carried the mug out to the living room to his sick girlfriend. "Really? That's all you want for your birthday? It's 10 days away, I'm really hopin' your cold is gone by then." Once Misty took the mug of tea, Clay sat down beside her on the couch, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "You don't want anything else?" He leaned closer, dropping a kiss on Misty's cheek. With a smile, he whispered in her ear, "Not even a date night with your boyfriend, ending with a goodnight kiss?" His breath tickled her neck, making Misty break out in goosebumps. 

             Misty chuckled, making Clay pull back from his taunting. "Yeah, I want you to move away from me so you don't get sick." Teasingly, she curled up, pulling the blanket tighter around her so only her eyes were exposed. 

           With a smile, Clay reached up, pulling the blanket off of Misty's face. "Not a chance. I'm not goin' anywhere. I'm stayin' right here until you're all better." 

           "You're so sweet to me." Misty smiled, stars in her eyes. 

             "I would do anything for you, babe. You know that. And you don't have to worry about getting me sick. I was a good boy and got my flu shot this year. Sorry, darlin', but you are stuck with me until you're better." Clay pulled Misty closer to him. Once she was against him, Misty relaxed, laying her head against his strong chest. Clay kissed Misty's head, keeping his arms around her waist. "But seriously, what do you actually want for your birthday?"

        Misty took a deep breath, taking a sip of her hot tea that Clay had perfectly made for her. "I really really want that ranch. I know that is a lot to ask for, but it's been two weeks since you took me to see it, and it's all I can think about since then. They're asking so little for it, that I can't pass it up. And there is so much room for me to make it how I want it, and that is so exciting for me. I don't see how I can't not get it. And I have plenty of money in the bank, so I know I can afford the first few months to pay it off." She traced the muscle on Clay's forearm. "But, the realtor said I should really go into there this week to finalize things, but if I feel like this the rest of the week, I don't see how that can happen."

         The comment got Clay's brain running. Just like that, an idea popped into his head, making a smile rise on his lips. Changing the subject so Misty didn't know the plan he had brewing, he said, "I'm sure it'll work itself out. Let's not stress about that. Instead, why don't we think about what we are fixin' to do for our six month anniversary? It's the same day as your birthday."

          "You mean, I have put up with you successfully for half of a year already? Man, babe." 

          "Time flies when you're datin' someone you love." Clay smiled, stars in his eyes as he gazed down at his girlfriend. Even though she was sick, and sounded like she was trying to talk under water, he still thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world. 

            "Oh, honey." Misty grinned, reaching up to caress his cheek with one hand, dropping a kiss on his jaw. Clay quickly turned his head, connecting his lips with hers for just a second before pulling back. "Great. Now you really are going to get sick." Misty played, sipping her tea. The heat instantly soothed her sore throat.