Chapter Twenty One

"Hey, y'all, sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but we are closed, and I have to start cleaning these tables off." The teenage cashier said to Misty and Clay who were still sitting at a table at the ice cream parlor in town. Clay and Misty were the last two people to leave the place; they had really been enjoying their time together, and didn't want to leave. 

        "That's alright, I think we were fixin' to head out anyways." Clay said, standing from the table. "Thank you for letting us stay here, even though y'all closed a half hour ago." Clay smiled at the kind employee after checking his phone to see just how late it had gotten. Clay and Misty had been deep in conversation that they didn't realize it was well after closing. Turning, Clay grabbed Misty's hand to help her off of the bench, even though he knew she didn't need help. 

       "Oh, it's no problem. We usually hang around for a few minutes after our posted closing time anyways. Y'all have a good night, and be sure to stop back in and see us again." The employee pasted on a smile.

        Misty waved and thanked the cashier, telling her they would definitely be back again. Wrapping both of her arms around Clay's bicep, Misty smiled up at him. "Thank you for the ice cream, even though it was cold out." She was still wearing his jacket, and she had no plans on giving it back to him anytime soon. 

       Clay stuffed his hands into his jeans pockets as they slowly walked back to his truck. "You're very welcome. And, by the way, I don't think that it's cold out at all." There was a teasing smile on his lips. 

       "If you make fun of me for being cold again, I promise you I will walk home." Misty retorted, pulling back so she could better see Clay's face.

        "If you walk home, you could freeze to death." Clay said, matter of factly. He didn't look at Misty, knowing she would be able to see right through the smile he was attempting to hide. 

       Misty let go of Clay's arm to swat at him, playfully hitting his chest with the long sleeves of his jacket. "Clay Montgomery!" 

        "That's my name, darlin', don't you forget it." He smirked. 

        "Oh, you little..." Misty stopped walking to face Clay and swat at his chest again.

        With a chuckle, Clay asked, "Why are you hittin' me for? What, I didn't do anything!"

       "You keep makin' fun of me for being chilly. There is a difference between the air around me being chilly, and me actually being cold, y'know." 

        Clay didn't respond; instead, he just stared down at her with that stupid grin on his face. 

        "What? Why are you smirking at me?" Misty asked, feeling slightly intimidated since Clay was a good six inches taller than her. 

        Stepping forward, Clay set his hands on top of Misty's shoulders. "You're so cute when you try to be mad at me." Tilting his head down, Clay dropped a kiss on Misty's forehead.

        Misty just shook her head, keeping it down so Clay couldn't see her smiling as they resumed walking back to his truck. 

        Hopping in the cab, Misty immediately lifted up the center console, sliding into the middle seat. Once Clay pulled out onto the road, Misty wrapped both her arms around his strong bicep again, resting her head on his shoulder. Placing his hand on Misty's thigh, Clay said, "I had a lot of fun with you tonight. I'm really glad that we are the kind of couple that can do spontaneous things for dates. Like, I'm real glad that you're okay with us not always having a planned out date. It's fun to just randomly go out and walk or drive around, not knowing where we will end up."