Chapter Six

The sun shone brightly and the horses neighed, but that wasn't what woke Clay the next morning. Footsteps, someone clearing their voice, and a hand on Clay's shoulder woke him. 

     Opening his eyes, Clay saw Waylon looking down at him where he was still lying, his arms still wrapped tightly around Misty. Slowly sitting up, careful not to wake the sleeping beauty next to him, Clay looked up to Waylon to tell him it wasn't what it looked like.

     Waylon, standing with his arms folded, nodded his head towards Misty. "You better get her back to camp before her dad knows y'all spent the night out here together." 

     "It isn't what it-" Clay started. 

     "Or, y'all can help me cook breakfast and we can pretend like none of this ever happened." Waylon interrupted. 

     Clay ran a hand through his bed head before nodding at Waylon. "We will be back at camp in a few minutes to help you cook." 

      "Let's hope so." Waylon replied before walking away, a smile tugging on the corner of his lips. 

     Turning to Misty after Waylon walked away, Clay hated to wake her, but he didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea by seeing them together. Shaking her shoulder slightly, Clay said Misty's name. 

     When Misty groaned and rolled over onto her back, but didn't open her eyes, Clay knew there was only one way to wake her up. With a smile, Clay leaned down, softly kissing Misty's lips. When she inhaled quickly, Clay knew his plan had succeeded. He tried pulling back after the first kiss, but Misty's arms went around Clay's neck, pulling him down to her for a second kiss.  

     To stabilize himself from giving in to Misty's pull on him, Clay put his arms on either side of her. Pulling back, Clay smiled down at Misty. When he was able to catch his breath he said, "We've been caught by Waylon. He came out here to feed the horses and he found us. I promised him to have you back to camp in a few minutes or else he might tell your dad about us sleepin' out here all night." 

     Misty, still starry-eyed replied, "That's the best way anyone has ever woke me up before. Do I get to look forward to you kissing me awake more mornings?" Misty, still sleepy, had meant for the second comment to stay inside her head, causing her to blush when she heard herself say it out loud. 

     Clay chuckled. "I would love to, but your dad might never let me see you again if we don't get back to camp right now."   

     Dropping her arms from Clay's neck, Misty groaned. "Five more minutes, please." 

     Clay laughed, sitting up on his knees. "I told myself that last night, and we ended staying out here all night." To get her to get up, Clay teasingly pulled the blankets off of Misty. "Come on, sleepyhead. Time to get up." 

      Misty immediately curled up into a ball. "No, Clay, it's so cold. Please give me the blankets back." 

     Clay stood up. "Only if you get up, and we start headin' back to camp. I told Waylon we will help him cook breakfast." Reaching a hand down, Clay smiled. "Come on, sleeping beauty." 

     Misty, giving Clay a mischievous grin said, "Sleeping beauty was awaken with a kiss from Prince Charming." 

     "I did kiss you awake, remember?" Clay chuckled.

     Misty dramatically folded her arms over her chest and shut her eyes, waiting for Clay to kiss her. When he didn't kiss her after a few seconds, Misty opened one eye. "Prince Charming, I'm sleeping. Waiting for art to kiss thou."