Amelia's cries gain my attention and I instantly rush back to her, falling down to my knees beside her. "Harry, h-he won't wake up... he's so cold..." she looks at me in desperation through her tears.

I place my arm around Amelia's shoulders and pull her to my side while gazing down at our unmoving son. For some reason, my mind decides to play images of me teaching him how to ride a horse or fight, of Amelia teaching him how to dance and treat a lady, of him getting married one day then taking his place as King. I see a handsome young man with warm eyes and a dimpled smile, but most importantly, a good heart.

Snapping back to reality, I notice his skin is pale as snow and his little lips are blue. Tears blur my vision as I swallow thickly, moving the coat down a bit to uncover his chest. "Adam?"

I can physically feel the shattering pain in my chest when I realise he is no longer breathing.

Amelia doesn't seem to notice it because she keeps swaying him gently and mumbling words into his ear, her tears an endless flow on her cheeks. I cover my mouth with my palm to muffle a sob, trying to remain calm. "May I hold him for a moment?"

Amelia looks up and stares at me for a few seconds before nodding. "Stay close to the fire to keep him warm." She hands our son to me and I carefully gauge her reaction. She wipes away the salty streaks from her face, her demeanour being unusually calm all of a sudden.

"How is Henry?" She asks and turns to look at Niall while I try not to completely break down, holding my dead son in my arms. He is gone and Amelia doesn't realise it. Or she refuses to.

"He's regaining his consciousness slowly," Niall replies just as the King groans lowly, his eyelids beginning to open.

I can't feel any relief because of it, looking down at Adam's unmoving, limp body. I bring my lips to his cold forehead, kissing it while a few of my tears fall on his peaceful face, sliding away. "I love you so much," I whisper shakily. "Please, please come back... you are my light, the one pure thing in my life. I beg you, open your eyes."

"Niall?" My father mutters, sitting upright. "There was an attack... my grandson! Adam!" He shouts in panic.

"Harry is warming him up by the fire, do not worry," Amelia tells him calmly. "And you need to warm up as well, come on. We shall discuss what happened later, the important thing is that you recover."

I press Adam close to my chest as I keep kneeling on the ground, cradling the back of his head with my palm, crying silently. "Wake up, wake up, wake up..." I chant quietly, unable to wrap my head around the fact my sweet boy is no longer alive.

My father notices my reaction and limps towards me as fast as he can, losing his balance in front of me. His widened blue eyes keep glancing from me and the baby in my arms, panic and fear laced into his features. I cannot even bear to look at Amelia.

"How is he?" He whispers and I simply look at him with my watery eyes, exhaling a shuddering breath. "No... God no..." he shakes his head in disbelief, his fingers grabbing his hair. "This... this is my fault."

"What is it?" Amelia asks softly while I give a knowing look to Niall, whose face is already filled with sorrow upon realising what has happened.

"Amelia, maybe you should sit down," Niall tells her gently, placing his trembling hand on her shoulder.

She frowns and keeps looking at me, shrugging Niall's hand off. "I would like to hold my son now."

"Amelia..." Niall tries again. Neither Henry nor I attempt to hide our cries anymore, my hold tightening around my son's small body.