06. Maid

AMELIA

A royal maid should keep her head bowed at all times, especially in the presence of a royalty. She should only speak when spoken to unless it is absolutely imperative, walk behind her king or queen, should bow whenever they are around, and never turn her back on them. That is what I've learnt in the span of a little less than a day that we have spent travelling towards the castle.

Well I'll be damned if I manage to follow any of those rules.

My inquisitive gaze trails over the foreign scenery, my lips parted a little as I excitedly watch the lively kingdom around me. I probably look like a small child who has tried a candy for the first time. The drawbridge gets slowly lowered for us as we arrive at the castle, a moat settled underneath it, its high walls seemingly reaching the sky. Red flags with a brown bear embroidered in the middle are billowing in the wind, a distinguishable sign of the Darkland kingdom. Guards are lined on the turrets above us and either side of the pathway, spears in their hands and swords strapped to their sides. Familiar red uniforms adorn their bodies, inflicting a strong sense of hatred within me. Murderers, rapists, bandits, the lot of them.

"If you stick your body further out of the window you will drop out," Prince Harry warns me.

"Ah, what a waste would that be," Niall mumbles with sarcasm lacing his tone, but loud enough for me to hear.

I pull myself back inside, settling on the seat impatiently, waiting to finally see what the castle looks like inside, not just a little speck in the distance from my hill back in Frontera (or The Border as they tend to call it) I can see both kingdoms from there, but that's not the same as actually being in the heart of one of them. This is the real thing! I will be able to wine and dine here before giving King Edgar a piece of my mind. I fear Prince Harry is too kind to demand from him to force his guards to stop their terrors.

I believe the request would be along the lines: "My apologies, dearest uncle, but would you be so kind and kindly grace us with your kindness, and tell your soldiers to kindly leave The Border? Thank you for considering it."

Besides, from what I've heard so far, King Edgar is arrogant, merciless, and has no remorse. I have a feeling that persuading him to leave us alone won't be a piece of cake, not that I'm expecting it. But I am not planning on giving up easily, I will get for what I've come for. I will ensure peace for my homeland.

"Since you are not accustomed to these things, and frankly, I do not understand the purpose of your presence now that we know which route to take through Frontera, remember to keep quiet and do not look anyone highborn in the eye," Niall instructs.

"It will be all right Niall, I am certain Lady Amelia is going to be on her best behaviour," Prince Harry says with a genuine smile, small dimples in his cheeks.

There's an aura of innocence around him, his green eyes kind and smile so pure it could purify the worst of all sinners. The only thing lacking is an angel halo above his head and a pair of wings. The flowery scent he always has only attracts you more towards him.

"I will try, your grace." I smile cheekily, nodding at him.

"But no promises?" He remarks, amused.

"No promises."

"Great," Niall grumbles.

"I offered Prince Harry my services as not only his guide but adviser, especially because I am someone who grew up in Frontera without knowing what is like to have a single peaceful day during my lifetime. I believe I am more than qualified to explain to King Edgar what have his men done to my home and people," I say, willing myself to stay calm when I notice how much my presence bothers him.