01. Adventure

The world is not how I imagined it to be as a child

It is actually more grand and majestic than I had originally thought, luring you in with its astounding exterior, inviting you to explore further. I have been travelling for two days and my journey has been nothing but pleasant so far-

"Your Highness?" The quiet voice of my good friend and my personal guard, Niall, catches my attention.

I lift my head and close the leather bound notebook on my lap with one hand, placing it on the side along with a quill and an ink box as a smile spreads over my lips. I've been told numerous of times I smile a lot even when it's completely unnecessary, but I simply cannot help it. Life is too short to spend it wearing a frown. "Yes, Niall?"

"You look a bit pale Sire, perhaps you'd like us to stop for a while? We have been sitting in this carriage for hours, a brief walk and some fresh air would do you good, I'm sure."

"You always worry, Niall." My smile widens, showing my teeth. "I feel perfectly fine, let's just keep moving. Besides, we are in the middle of the woods, I don't think there is a place we could use to rest around here."

"I have gone through this area a few times, your Highness, there should be a village around here." His light blue eyes look into mine, his brows pulling in a slight frown beneath the strands of his haphazard brown hair. He doesn't smile back, he never does when he's on duty. Niall is a perfectly trained soldier, ready to give his life for me at any moment. I don't want him to, I always pray we never get in any dangerous situations where he would be obliged to do so.

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me Harry?" I ask him in a light, friendly tone.

"At least once more, your Highness," Niall replies, giving me a nod.

My smile fades and I push a sigh past my parted lips, my gaze shifting at the window aside as my thoughts consume me once again. The magnitude of the important task I have to do in the name of my father, King Henry, is weighing me down, a small pestering voice in my head constantly telling me I will fail. But if there's a person in this world that believes in me, it's him. He wouldn't have sent me on this journey otherwise, he has plenty of advisers and fine men with experience that could have done this instead.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have left the confines of my castle for longer that a day. I grew up in a very safe and caring environment, never lacking parental love despite their duties and tight schedules. I don't have many friends considering everyone sees the future king in me, not someone they could talk to over a cup of tea.

As my mind drifts away, the trees we're passing become a green blur in front of my eyes as they focus on nothing in particular. I pinch my lower lip between my forefinger and thumb absently, a habit of mine I have been trying to get rid of for a while now since it's not classy and it doesn't suit a prince according to my etiquette tutor. The rhythmic patter of the horse hooves against the ground and occasional flick of the reins are the only sounds I hear, all the usually vocal wild animals inhabiting this area hiding upon hearing humans nearby.