Chapter 2

I walked into school beside Kaine, he smelled really nice but I didn't want to look weird and get closer to sniff him. My friends were at the gate and saw who I was with, they did everything possible to try and embarrass me whenever I was with him. He knew I liked him and he flirted with me but it was nothing serious, like what he said in the car about sleeping beauty. He was probably trying to make fun of me because I looked half asleep.

Alexis, my best friend, was shouting me to attract attention. Kaine looked at me and smiled then walked away to his friends, as I did the same.

"Ooh, I saw that, you getting out of the car with Kaine Holland, eh? What's up with that?" Alexis was giggling while she played with my hair.

"It's nothing, seriously. His mum just gave me a lift." I answered. It was nothing though, I wasn't lying.

I'd only just walked into the canteen and it was time for first lesson. The bell rang and all the little year 7s hurried around us to their lessons. I had English. Oh the joys of another boring class where all we do is listen to Mr Fielding tell us about how much he hates kids. I sat a few seats away from Kaine and he was in my 'Letter Group'. Letter groups were just 8 groups, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H. I was in D, with Alexis, Ryan and Kaine.

It was a really fun group, I had to admit. We had a lot of banter. It was the best part of lesson because it was when Mr Fielding shut up talking. Even though Mr Fielding usually only let us work in letter groups on Mondays and Wednesdays, it seemed today, Friday, was going to be an exception. 'Thank the Lord!' I thought. I was in no mood to sit and listen to Sir for a whole 60 minutes.

As I walked to my seat, Kaine and Alexis were already sat down at our station at the far table. Ryan was stumbling through moving chairs and slowly getting there. Kaine grabbed a chair from the table next to ours and pulled it over my head, avoiding hitting me and placed it down next to his.

"M'lady". He said and pointed to it. Alexis looked away hiding a smile because she knew I was buzzing inside. I climbed over his outstretched leg and sat down beside him. Usually Ryan sat with him but I guess he was being extra nice today.

"Yo, could've got me a chair!" Ryan said to Kaine angrily.

"Ha, no man, get your own! You're not my boo!" Kaine winked at me then laughed as Ryan rolled his eyes because he had to walk all the way back through everyone else's tables. It was quite funny.

While Ryan was still venturing through chairs and tables, Alexis instigated a conversation between Kaine and I. I looked at her with a death stare but in reality, I was glad I had a friend like Alexis, she was very helpful with the whole Kaine situation. Alexis had told him that I was going to a Conundrum concert with Nicole. Conundrum were Kaine's favourite band, as they were mine, so it was actually a really good conversation starter.

"No way!" Kaine said, "I'm so jealous, man! I was gonna go to that but I sold the ticket for a new Gameglobe Zero!" He looked genuinely sad. I thought, 'is he sad because I'm going and he's not or because I'm going without him?' It wouldn't be the latter. It wouldn't make a difference to him if I was there or not. Alexis broke the silence with a comment about the band: "I'm really jealous too Jess! I can't believe you're gonna see Ryan and I'm not!" Ryan was the name of a band member. "I love Ryan so much, he's perfect!" She added. As she said that, Ryan - our group member Ryan - came back looking flustered from carrying the chair through a maze of tables and said: "Hey, I know I'm perfect, no need to tell me". We all laughed and Alexis blushed a little.

The topic we were supposed to be discussing was social media but we weren't. Ryan and Kaine were having their own conversation as were Alexis and I. They were talking about a football match from the week before. Boys and football, eh? Still haven't gotten over a match that was a week ago. Then again, it wasn't only boys, Alexis loved football. She'd once or twice zoned out of my conversation because she heard one of them make a remark about a St. Bartholomew's player. She supported St. Bartholomew and occasionally went to watch them play. She had easier conversations about football with a lot of the lads while I was just there looking like an overly confused penguin.

When we saw Sir stand up from his chair at the front desk to walk around the room checking up on groups, we thought we better start talking about what we were supposed to be talking about.

"Social media, eh? Asked Ryan. "Well, Twitter is a form of social media and I see Kaine and Jessica tweeting each other a lot!"

I blushed. I forgot Ryan followed me but then, it wasn't even a lot. Kaine has tweeted Alexis more than me! However, Alexis isn't the one who everyone thinks likes Kaine. That's right, nearly everyone knows. It didn't change anything between Kaine and I though, we still speak quite a lot.

"So what if I tweeted her, Ryan?" Kaine smirked. "Just because I pull all the ladies and you're there still try'na crack on Isabella!" That was true, Kaine was like a magnet when it came to attracting girls. But, Ryan wasn't exactly ugly either, in fact he was quite good-looking.

Ryan went red at the comment about Bella. Bright red. Ryan liked Isabella, it was another thing everyone knew.

"Like you can talk, loser!" Ryan argued back, "Haven't got the guts to ask out Lizzie, do you?"

'Thanks for that Ryan.' I thought, I was having a pretty decent first lesson and then he goes and reminds me, Kaine likes Elizabeth.

Kaine just laughed at Ryan's comment, "All in due time, my friend."

'Great. Just great.' I thought. It was inevitable, he was going to ask her out soon then I'd just be there. That's all I was. There. I wasn't important.