Chapter 1

"Jessica!" I was awoken by my mum at what I hoped would be the time I'd set my alarm for. I looked over at my phone, 07:24! I'd slept for nearly an hour after I should have gotten up.

"Get up, I thought you'd be dressed by now! You've overslept again!" She yelled.

I rolled out of bed immediately but groggily, the lateness you'd expect to have given me a boost to get ready quickly, didn't.

I ambled slowly to the bathroom to freshen up, brush my teeth and wash my face, I was skipping breakfast. Again. I threw on my uniform. A dull dark grey blazer over my creased white blouse and unbelievably short black skirt. Then again, it was nothing compared to that of the girls at my school. Self respect was unheard of to them.

I glanced over at my phone plugged into the charger displaying the time clearly, 07:34. I had 6 minutes before the bus for school got to my bus stop and I needed at least 4 minutes to walk there. I guess I was going to be late today as well.

I could've left then and there but I hadn't done my make up or my hair. I didn't mind that much about my make up, I only wore a little anyway. Just some plain foundation and mascara, usually with eyeliner. I had to get my hair right or I felt my day wouldn't go right. It was my strange superstition. I tried to put it up and save time straightening it but it wasn't going to plan. I decided upon the natural look and by the time I was completely finished, it was, 07:43.

"Damn!" I said aloud as my dad walked in with a little sandwich bag with my lunch in. I thanked him. He usually didn't make it for me, I'd have to do it myself but I think he gathered I was late and helped me out. I hugged him on my way downstairs and got some money from my mum on the way out of the door.

"This is the 3rd time you've been late this week Jess, I don't want you to wake up any later than 6:30 tomorrow!" I was already out of the door, I was in no mood to listen to her right now. If she wanted me to wake up on time, she should do it herself.

As I was walking down my street and onto the main road where the bus stop was, I was hoping and praying the bus was unusually late and hadn't arrived yet. My hopes were in vain, it had gone. Nicole and Tanya, who I'd usually get the bus with weren't there and they were always on time. Unlike me. The next bus didn't come for another 15 minutes and school would have started by then.

Just as I was rethinking my whole morning and wondering why I bothered to dress myself up and make myself look presentable for a boy who doesn't even care, a car honked and I looked up, startled out of my thoughts. It was Kaine's mum.

Kaine Holland's parents were close to my parents yet I wasn't as close as I'd like to be, to him. Kaine was the boy I'd make heaps of effort for and I'm positive he didn't care. He liked Elizabeth. Yet I still tried.

"Jess, get in sweetheart!" His mum asked politely.

"Thankyou Julie." I said as I got in, relieved I wasn't going to be late.

"Missed the bus again, Jessica?" Kaine asked me.

"I've only overslept 3 times this week, Kaine!" He smirked from one side of his mouth. If I'd ever questioned why I liked him, his smile was the answer. His hair, his eyes, his everything.

"Only 3? He laughed. "I should be that prince who woke up sleeping beauty with a kiss, for you? Shouldn't I?" He winked.

"Oh, shut up Kaine!" I laughed and gently punched him on the shoulder.

The journey to school wasn't that long in a car because we took a shorter route and didn't have to stop at designated bus stops. As I got out, I thanked Kaine's mum for the lift and she told me it was no problem at all and she'd not mind being my chauffeur all the time.

"Tell your mum, I say hello and send her my love, won't you?" She told me.

I nodded and said, "Of course, thanks again, bye Julie."  She was really lovely.