Prologue

Prologue

"He wanted the world, I guess."

"And how did that affect you?"

"I was madly in love with him."

She looked at the expressionless face of the psychotherapist and smiled.

"It ruined me, you know." Cassie tilted her head backwards and waited for her lungs fill with air, because it was the only thing that reminded her she was still alive.

"I gave up everything I cared about because of him."

"And tell me, did you still love him after what he did?"

She sat in silence; the implications too deep for her to process. Cassie blinked repeatedly and shook her head in a quick movement.

"Of course I did. I still do."

"Are you willing to tell me the whole story and not just the fragments you've been sharing with me?"

Miss Grallyer fixed her eyes on those of the troubled girl in front of her. She hammered her long red nails on the notepad, not sure what to expect.

"I always liked Greek mythology," Cassie said. "Particularly, the Icarus tale..."

"Tell me about it," the therapist suggested.

Cassie slipped off to another planet. It wasn't always that way, but at that exact moment she chose to run away to dreamland rather than face the devastating trauma and loss connected to losing Tate. Looking down she saw the therapist's marble floor, as white as a pearl, but as cold as the feeling of numbness and emptiness inside her.

"His father constructed wings of feathers and wax so his son could escape the Greek island of Crete and warned him not to fly too close to the sun...but he did, his wings started melting, he fell to the sea and drowned. Nice Story. Really nice. But he didn't have to die."

"Cassie," Miss Grallyer sighed, "what's the connection between Icarus and..."

"Don't say his name," Cassie protested while grabbing hard the arms of the chair she was sitting on and slightly leaning forwards.

Miss Grallyer didn't understand that what Cassie just said was important. The therapist kept asking questions about Tate and only Tate. She was hungry for the love story. Cassie didn't blame her, who wouldn't want to know the whole story? The tragedy was all over the news.

Grallyer's eyes were piercing right through Cassie. She was patient, and that bothered Cassie. Being treated like she was a poor, venerable waif wasn't something she was used to.

"Fine," Cassie crossed her arms on her chest, "I'll tell you everything."

It all seemed so vivid in her head, like it happened yesterday. It had been three months since he left. Every little thing that they did, she remembered each detail. It was difficult to believe that he was a seventeen year old because he had a mind of an adult but behaved like a child, and Cassie loved that.

She opened her mouth and trembling words came out as if they were too scared to leave the insides of her mind. It was time to tell the story from the beginning.

---------

Hello! there is a new trailer by the side made by the fantastic AlyxMck >>>>

Also, if you'd like to read more mythology related books or you are writing one, head to @MythologicalReads and join their campaign!