My Home Is Here With You - Pt. 2

"Bland."

"Terrible."

"Ugh."

"Disgusting."

"Eh."

"Dinah Jane." The woman's patience wore thin. "Do you have anything worthy to show me?"

"Hold on." The young apprentice answered as she flipped through her drawing pad, looking for something that the older woman would like. She hummed softly to herself, trying to fill the thick silence in the room while doing so. When she finally came to one of her favourites, she turned it towards the woman. "What do you think?"

"Well..." The woman took the drawing pad into her own hands, her slender fingers wrapping around it. "It has potential."

"Potential?" Dinah raises her perfectly arched eyebrows. "Mom, you can't compliment me once, can you?"

"Compliments are for people with big heads." The young woman's mother muses as she looks over the drawing. "Plus, you're new here. I have to tell you when your work isn't worthy."

"Yeah, well, I didn't ask to be here, firstly, and secondly, you've just never paid me any compliments. Ever." Dinah adds the last word for emphasis.

"This one is good." The older woman nods as she looks over the oversized page again. "Just needs a little tweaking, and it'll be perfect." She decides, and moves her hand down slightly to open a drawer.

"Was that so hard?" Dinah smirks as she watches her mother pick a perfect pencil to make alterations.

"Yes." The woman doesn't spare her own smile, and checks the clock. "Its late." She notes the time. "Are you still driving home, or are you staying over?"

"Driving home." Dinah answers as she reaches for her phone, checking the time as well, before locking it. "I still need to get some milk and candy from the store."

"I won't even ask." Her mother shakes her head disapprovingly. It was no secret that she wasn't a fan of Dinah's last minute lifestyle, which is why she was only a little happy that she had moved out, but she still missed her. The house got quiet for the mother of one. "Goodnight sweetheart."

"Goodnight Ma." Dinah offers her mother a warm smile as she moves over to press her thick lips against her mother's forehead in a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too." The woman replies as she begins her alterations, a small smile on her own face. "I'll see you tomorrow, ten am sharp. Do not be late."

"I won't." Dinah rolls her eyes as she retrieves her keys and satchel. "Okay, I probably will, but make it eleven for the latest."

"Deal." Her mother breathes out. "Make sure Julian locks behind you."

Dinah gives her mother a solemn nod, and with that, she's off, marching through the halls of the mansion, through the door (making sure Julian knocked) and into the night, hoping to stop by a filling station where she would get milk.

She inserted the key in the ignition and began her ten minute drive, excluding stopping for milk, home. But unfortunately, none of the filling stations were on her way home, so she had to take another route.

She quickly pulled on a black hoodie that she had resting on the passenger seat of her car, and pulled the hood over her head.

After spending a day with her mother, listening to all of her complaints because of Dinah Jane herself, she was exhausted. She didn't feel like being recognized. She just wanted the milk, and to go home and jump into bed.

Luckily, she did just that. After locating the milk, creeping out various customers at that time of the night because of her appearance, she paid and was out as soon as she came in.