Chapter 5

I plopped down on the couch totally flabbergasted, I did the first thing that came to mind which was clean. I turned off the tv and put on the radio, Christmas music filled the room as I grabbed the cookie plates. I placed them in the sink and started to scrub them, didn't matter if I was still in my dress. I scrubbed the dishes until my fingers were raw then moved on to wiping the counter.

"Isabelle?"

I dried off the counter, blowing some hair out of my face.

"Isabelle?"

"John, what?!" I exclaimed.

He walked up closer to me, "You're gonna scrub the counter top off, love."

I stopped, throwing the rag into the sink. "Well I happen to clean when I'm stressed, and oh wow! I'm stressed!"

John frowned, "Its nothing that bad, just a kiss. Julian was being a bit mischievous."

I turned around, putting my hands on my hips. "That wasn't just a kiss and you know it! We can't do this! What about Cynthia?"

"Not to be too rude Iz but she's not with us." He sighed.

I crossed my arms, "She was your wife! I can't just take her place!"

John crossed his arms back, "You're not taking her place, and it was just a kiss."

I walked out of the room, throwing my hands up in the air. "No it wasn't!" I entered my room, slamming the door behind me.

Sitting down on the bed I reached over for the phone and called Pattie.

"Pats?"

"Iz? What the hell time is it?"

"Nevermind that I have a problem." I said quickly.

Pattie got quiet, "I'm listening."

"I kissed John and Cynthia won't want that I'm just supposed to watch them not fuck him." I cried.

She interrupted me, "Woah woah you fucked him?

Scratching the back of my neck I sighed again, "No, there was just mistletoe Julian set up and John kissed me."

Pattie giggled a bit, "Love, Cynthia wouldn't want John to be alone forever. It was just a kiss, calm down."

I ran my hand through my hair, "You're right, sorry about this. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas Izzy."

After hanging up I changed into my nightgown and laid down in bed, I rolled over on my side leaving John to put the presents out. I didn't want to see him until I had to.

~

Christmas had come and gone once again and I hadn't really talked to John since that Christmas Eve. It was now New Years Eve, Julian was asleep and I was sitting in the living room reading. John came in to the room from the kitchen, sitting down next to me. I continued turning the pages in my book as John looked at me. Finally he took the book out of my hands.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, glaring at him.

He smirked, "Now ya look at me." I turned my head to face the wall and John's hand trailed up my arm. I slapped it away and he scooted closer to me. He stroked my hair and as I turned to scold him, his chapped lips smashed into mine.

At first I was ready to push him off but his kiss deepened and I folded. I kissed him back passionately, placing my hands on either side of the back of his neck. John's hands went down from my face to my boobs, I moaned. Our lips parted and John smirked, "Lets go to the bedroom." He whispered, picking me up bridal style, and teasing me on our way down the hall.

~

Laying on my back, I watched the ceiling fan spin slowly around and around. It was on just enough to keep some air circulating. I pulled the blankets up a bit farther, I was completely naked underneath. John was next to me, softly snoring with his arm around my shoulders.

I couldn't sleep, my mind wouldn't quiet down. How the hell could I do this? What's wrong with me? I slept with one of my closest friend's husband, and she's dead. I slept with her widower, what the hell is wrong with me?

Sighing I tried to slide out from under John's grasp, he rolled over as I got out of bed. Putting on a robe, I walked into the living room. Finding a pack of John's cigarettes I pulled one out. Lighting it as I sat on the couch.

I dialed Pattie's number, hoping she'd answer. Instead I got George.
"Geo, Pattie isn't awake is she?"

"Sorry love, she isn't. Why did you call?"

Like I really want to tell you, "Um, nothing George. Sorry for waking you." I was really hoping he'd let me get off the phone, but if I knew him it wouldn't be that easy.

"Love, you called at one in the morning I doubt it's nothing now c'mon. You've told me so many secrets over the years Izzy."

Quickly I scanned the hallway behind me, I didn't want anyone hearing this but George. "Alright Harrison, you sure you want to hear this?" George chuckled softly, "Who bought you tampons in America when you were stuck in the loo?" My cheeks turned pink, "You did." Neither of us said anything for a few minutes, I knew Geo was waiting for me to speak up. He would wait all night if I needed.

Taking the cigarette out of my mouth, I spoke up. "So on Christmas Eve, Julian set up some mistletoe in the hallway so John and I would walk under it while putting him to bed." George's giggles interrupted me, "I'm sorry love, damn that boy is just like his dad." Placing the cigarette between my lips, a smirk crept its way onto my face. "Anyways, John kissed me. I called Pats because well I cant kiss John. That's just insane!"

"Why would it be?" He asked. Fiddling with the cigarette in my fingers, I sighed. "Because Cyn is dead."

"So?"

"George! Are you serious?" I couldn't believe what my friend said. "Cynthia died! She wanted me to take care of John and Jules! I cant just replace her!" My voice was getting louder, George shushed me. "C'mon doll, don't want the whole house hearing you. Now continue."

I ran a hand through my messy hair, "Since then I haven't really talked to John. Things have been really awkward, then tonight we ummmm slept together." My cheeks burned red, waiting for George's reply.

"Love, Cynthia told Maureen and Pattie if anyone should replace her it would be you." He whispered, I was shocked. "You serious?" I couldn't believe it, me? Why me? Did she think there was something going on between us?

George chuckled once more, "I wouldnt lie! Cyn said she knew John would remarry and if she could choose anyone for him it would be you." I had to blink back tears, a feeling of relief rushed over me. "So what do you think I should do then?" My voice squeaked. After a little bit George answered, "If you both love each other or have feelings for each other then go for it. Its worth a try darling."

Snuffing out my cigarette, I yawned. "Thanks George." My eyes started to droop, guess I was tired. "No problem, now go to sleep Izzy. Good luck and goodnight."
"Goodnight Georgie." I whispered.

Placing the phone down, I stretched. Standing back up, I tossed the lighter on to the coffee table. Walking back into the room, I smiled when I saw John still sleeping peacefully. Quickly I slid back into his arms, he didn't seem to notice a thing. He rolled over, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck. "Where did you go?" He whispered. "Just to the bathroom sweetie." I answered softly, stroking some hair out of his hair. This just felt right.

A/N: Yikes this has been awhile, I'm sorry guys.