Chapter 17:The Beginning

"I... I'm... I know sorry doesn't help. The only thing you can do is keep moving for they're sakes. If I may ask, how did he die?" Percy said, for once completely serious with Thaila. "Yeah. He was a satyr. They're in charge of getting Half-Blood's to camp; normally. He was guiding me, Annabeth, and Luke to camp. He took wrong turns; monsters that were chasing us caught up. I wanted to sacrifice myself to get the others to safety; but he wouldn't let me. He pushed me across camp boundaries, played some magic on his pipes; and roots grew around our feet. Dumb goat managed to turn a lot of hell hounds to flowers before they got him." "Oh. How brave... How did a tree this big sprout up so fast?" "When a satyr dies; they're reincarnated into something else in nature. But Father took pity on him. Or maybe he was proud of him getting me into camp, whatever the case. He made Grover into a pine tree with a magical power; it blocks all monsters trying to enter. So now he can protect all Half-Blood's." She took a shaky breath. "Now Seaweed Brain; let's just get on the bus; okay?" "...Yeah.Okay." They got on the bus. Percy asked; " Hey Nico, mind if I sit with Thails? I got something I wanna talk to her about." "Oh, yeah go ahead man." Percy sat down next to Thaila. "Hey. You told me your depressing story; it's only fair you hear mine right?" "You don't have to-" "I'm going to. None of us get leverage." "Percy-" "Don't care. I have a step Dad. My mom married him around four years ago. Don't know why, biggest piece of Minotaur dung. Whatever. The point is, he makes my mom happy apparently. He just... He... He hits me. I don't tell Mom. It would break her heart. She says he helps us in ways I don't know. Always somewhere unnoticeable. My back, my bottom leg, my foot. He's even got a knife out on occasion." "Percy That's-" "It's fine. He helps my mom... Apparently. As long as he doesn't hurt her, I'm good." "You shouldn't be 'fine' with that!!!" "Look. I'm no where near him anymore, so it's not a problem... Hey?" "...yeah?" Percy punches her on the shoulder "slug bug!" "Heh heh heh..." They both tried they're best to break the tension. They played childish games the rest of the ride to middle New York.