Cheating The Deck {16}

Start from the beginning

                I didn't love anyone. Not my family, not the assholes I lived with, and certainly not Jack. Love was just something people could use to manipulate you and I would not let myself fall for that again.

                I looked over, seeing my reflection in my mirror. My eyes widened a little at how much I looked like a goddamned trapped animal.

                I flung myself at the mirror, smacking it so it hit the ground face-down. I stood up and grabbed the picture off my dresser, staring at it, hating it.

                There were me and my parents when I was a kid. Dad always hated the picture because of his expression in it, so he hid it away. Now it was mine, stolen the night I ran away. To remind myself of what he was. He wasn't some loving father. He was a ruthless dictator with a charming smile.

                My bedroom door opened and I spun around, picture still in hand. Jack leaned in my doorway.

                "Hey," he said.

                "Why are you here?" I demanded.

                He nodded at the picture in my hand. "Family picture?"

                I tossed it to him and he caught it. He looked it over, eyes lingering on each person in it.

                "How old were you?" he asked.

                "About four or five. I don't remember," I said.

                "Mom was still around, huh?" he said. "Your dad ever remarry?"

                "Nah. He was hung up over the bitch," I said, shrugging. "She ditched when I was little and he never got over it. His problem, not mine."

                "He seems a little emotionless in this picture," he said.

                "Yea, well, he was a bit of a prick," I said.

                Jack held the picture closer to his face, eyes carefully lingering on the image of my father. He flicked his gaze up to me.

                "You look a lot like him," he said. "It's almost a little scary."

                "Well, that happens when a man has a child. There's a possibility of the kid looking like him," I said. "I'm sure you exactly like the horse that fucked your mom."

                Jack pulled his hat off and ran his hand through his hair. "You're hilarious." He looked back down at the picture after putting his hat back on. "I don't just mean looks. You guys have the same expression in your eyes. Like you rule the whole world. Smug."

                I snatched the frame from him and slammed it down on my dresser, making sure it was facing down. "I am nothing like my fucking father."

                "I take it you don't keep in touch with him?" Jack said.

                "No. I don't keep in my touch with any of my family," I said, glaring at him.

                Jack nodded at the door. "Let's go."

                I followed him and we went downstairs. I could hear Ike and Christian talking about the weather in the living room. They must have let Jack in the house. Bastards.