BOOK ONE || CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The desert of the Wasteland is just starting to come into view as we walk farther out of the Estate.

Nobody is uttering a single word. Probably nerves, maybe excitement. Maybe some other emotion that they are keeping locked inside their heads. The only sound we are all making is the crunch of our booted feet against the hard-packed ground.

Vicky is walking next to me, the same way we always do when we are scavenging out here, but I guess we don't have to do that any more.

I feel sorry for the girls and Alfie because they have to stay and wait for us to come back for them. I hate to say it, but knowing Vicky and me, we will probably end up forgetting about them, but I know Kyle won't. He doesn't forget about anyone.

Kyle is at the front of the group and I'm at the back with Vicky, trying to ignore the horrible tension cramping in my foot. They've left about a two or three-meter space between us; probably so we can chat, and no one will interrupt us.

That's a very nice thing they did for us; if we could actually talk to each other.

"This is ridiculous," Vicky suddenly says, turning to look at me. "You haven't said a word in ages. What is wrong?"

I'm taken aback by her tone of voice, but probably since none of us has spoken a word, any sentence would seem harsh.

"Nothing, I was just thinking," I say slowly, carefully. "I was just wondering how long we've been walking."

"Physically, probably about ten minutes." A pause. "Mentally, probably about ten years."

I laugh because it's true—when no one speaks, it seems like time stops and the world around you slows down.

"Can you believe this is really happening?" I keep my eyes trained on the rock, dirt and cracks passing below the steps of my boots.

Vicky kicks a pebble in front of her, and we both watch as it bounces around until it stops. "I can believe it," she says. "But I think it will seem more real when we actually get out of the Estate." Vicky lifts her hands and gestures to the buildings around us. "It just feels like we are at work."

"But think about it." I nudge her with my arm. "No more being a Scavenger. No more waking up at dawn. The list just goes on and on." I laugh. "We are free to do what we want. Finally."

Vicky shrugs. "Yeah, but I'll miss being a Scavenger." She turns to look at me. "Won't you?"

I shake my head slowly, thinking it over. "Not really." I can't tell if I'm lying or telling the truth.

"But you were the original Scavenger," Vicky snaps, obviously thinking I was telling the truth. "How could you say you won't miss it?"

I do remember the day Kyle gave me the job of being a Scavenger. The first time was the scariest; I didn't know what I was doing. Then Vicky came, and she made it a hundred times better. Then Joel came and made it a hundred times worse.

So instead, I say, "You know what, Vicky? I'm lying, I will miss it. My head... my head's just all over the place at the moment."

Vicky places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "I understand, Xan. You're tired. You're worried. You're nervous." She pauses. "But I'm nervous, too."

I smile widely, slinging one arm around Vicky's shoulders. Her hand wraps around my waist, and I squeeze her tighter. "I'm glad I have someone who understands my weirdness." I lean closer. "We can be weird together."

Vicky laughs. "You can say that again."

"Hey, I wonder when we are going to reach..." I don't bother finishing the rest of my sentence, because we have entered the Wastelands desert.