Foreword

The Tree of Life has existed for millions upon millions of years. Since the beginning of time... Harvesting the powers of a mere hundreds of werewolves known as 'beyonds'.
       Beyonds are werewolves with their own special, unique powers. These powers ranging anywhere from the ability to manipulate time, read minds and telepathy, to controlling fire, teleportation, or earth manipulation. How a beyond obtained their power is simple. A beyond's power is passed down through generations. When a beyond dies, their power would be passed on to their closest relative. Their oldest child first. If they didn't have a child it would go to their mate, etc. Or there was the rare case that a wolf was simply born with their power. They came into the world as a beyond. How a beyond obtains their power isn't as important, though. It's where the powers come from. That's where the Tree of Life comes in.
          The tree is the root of all powers. The only thing keeping it alive is a mere energy transfer from 12 'special' beyonds every 30 years. These 12 beyonds have lived in a pack together, known as EXO, to protect the tree since the beginning of time. EXO was a rather large, powerful pack. Consisting of 12 main families, as well as multiple other families. The 12 main families possessed the powers needed to keep the tree alive. One 'special' beyond from each family. Each 'special' beyond bore a small pack symbol tattoo on their neck, indicating that they were one of the 12. The pack was also divided between EXO-M and EXO-K, 6 main families in each. This was done for traveling and communicating with other packs. It was safer to have half the pack stay with the tree while the other half was away.
The protection of the Tree was extremely important to beyond's. if the Tree were to die, or not get the energy transfer on time, all beyond's lives would cease to exist. The entire course of the Earth would shift and the history of beyond's would be erased, as if they never existed.
           Of course, with such great powers, comes great risks. Witches, vampires, and other wolves were constantly attacking the tree and the pack protecting it. Other wolves were jealous of the powers beyond's possessed, whereas to witches and vampires, beyond's posed a great threat to their kind. Being enemies with werewolves, having such, powerful wolves was dangerous for their kind. This brought them to great lengths to stop them, their only mission in life being to destroy the Tree of Life and rid the world of all beyond's. This, of course, posed a great threat to EXO, as they were the only thing stopping others from hurting said tree.
One day, a large coven of witches attacked the pack. Jongin's father, who possessed the power of teleportation, managed to teleport all the oldest pups of the 12 main families away from the tree, as they'd be the one's to receive the powers if their parents died. But the pups were all quite young. The youngest being only 2 years old, and the oldest, 5. Of course, being a wolf, 2 years was much more mature than a 2 year old human, so the age wasn't quite as important.
Kris, Minseok and Junmyeon were the only three pups to find their way back to the camp, 2 days after the attack. Upon returning, they found that only a few of the pack members had survived the attack. They also found piles of dead bodies. Bodies belonging to those of the pack. Witches had been known to wipe out entire packs at a time, it's a miracle that ANY of the pack had survived.
    The few that had managed to live, where the packs elders. These specific elders all being beyonds themselves. Extremely powerful beyonds at that, thus having a little more protection from the witches than the rest of the pack members.
    With the three pups being the only ones to return, the elders had to rely on them to find the rest. The tree had only gotten it's energy transfer 10 year prior to the attack. That gave them 20 years to find the remaining 9 pups.
    After explaining the importance of the Tree and their powers to the three, the elders decided to send them off. The elders, as well as Kris, stayed back to protect the tree while Minseok and Junmyeon left in search for the remaining 'special' beyonds.