The Lake

The lake on a Monday was better than the lake on any day, because the lake on a Monday was empty. And, to be sure, it was empty due to the fact that any and all inhabitants were in school, studying for the last round of projects and tests, but that just made it feel more free.

Because, now, it was just Phil, Dan, and rolling blue water.

At first, they simply stared at it, in awe that they had actually made it here, actually escaped the high school (it hadn't been hard; they simply walked out) and drove to this hidden place without being stopped like the teenagers do in movies.

This was so much better than any movie.

With a woop, Dan broke the silence and sprinted toward the water, pulling off his shirt and jeans and never once breaking his stride until he was submerged. He came up hollering and screeching in a way that was more animal than human, and laughed at Phil, who was still at the edge of the lake, shaking his head at his boyfriend. "It's cold," he complained, shivering despite the early-summer heat. "I don't think this is such a good idea anymore, Dan...Dan?"

And then, with a yelp, he was pulled under the water, where a giddy Dan waited for him with a kiss.

"So, you got these scars in the crash?" Phil ran a finger over the pink, somehow still raw-seeming skin on Dan's back. "I thought you weren't injured."

"I was." Dan shrugged, trying not to show the inward (pleasant) freakout he was having when Phil's hands moved to his hair, pulling gently through the curls. "But I was alive. That's what really mattered, I guess."

"Still...I feel bad."

"Why?" Dan turned to smile at him, "It's not like you did it."

Phil was quiet for a moment. Eventually, he announced that he was tired, and lay against the sand, ignoring how awful washing it out would be later. Because, he thought, that was a problem for later. Dan wrapped his arms around Phil's waist and lay with him, resting his head on Phil's chest. 

Neither of them slept, but neither of them said anything more, either.