T W E N T Y F I V E

The storm is brewing outside.

In a basement, there are four boys, two of which are sleeping soundly with their limbs coiled within each other and their mouths curled up into the slightest of a smile. They are peaceful despite the bedlam that is tearing apart the landscape, trashing the town.

Lightning flashes and illuminates the sky every twenty or so seconds, not being a fright anymore since the frequent strikes are anticipated. Rain scatters the tiny windows that shed in barely any light, but still is able to display the events happening in the outside world. Thunder cracks and a boom ripples through the environment just a second after the lightning, a meticulously accurate pattern that is easy to follow and anticipate. An occasional branch of a tree would descend harshly and smack against the window, giving a fright to those who are awake.

A candle burns slow. The embers dissipate and are reborn within seconds of each other, a cycle that repeats. The pleasing smell of eucalyptus radiates from the wax, a sweet aura that fills the room and calms the one who inhales the scent. No one says a word for a moment. It is silent except for the storm that stirs without their consent. The flame would shake and be frightened as well when the thunder would crack, an uncertain movement of the fire that would let one to believe that it would blow out. But it doesn't. It never does.

Two boys sit together, close together. They don't mind the contact and don't think much of it when they are silent, observing the sounds and visuals that are on display. The younger boy's head rests against the older one's shoulder, breathing in and out through the nostrils with slow, paced breaths. Storms make him a little uneasy, but he's doing his best to cope with what he hates.

Theo doesn't mind Liam's head on his shoulder. He knows of Liam's feelings yet he doesn't care, and lets him confide in Theo because he knows that he isn't too fond of storms. The younger boy tried to play it off in front of his friends but Theo could see right through him and made him feel safe with subtly. He doesn't want to embarrass Liam because not liking storms is somehow a masculine threat to the kid.

"Are you okay?" he finds himself asking, the first words he has spoken since Corey and Mason fall asleep.

Theo hears his heartbeat quicken but doesn't say anything. The younger boy doesn't move as he whispers, "I'm fine. Just unsettled." That much is true. There's something that Liam isn't telling him but he decides to not press it any further, given that he doesn't want to pry.

It's silent after that besides the storm. The pair doesn't speak for a little while but just listens to the other's heartbeat, finding clarity in the syncopated rhythms that stabilizes them. They sit like that and don't have any interest in moving because it's so comfortable and relaxing to just be with each other. They find ease in each other's arms; they're fiddling with each other's fingers and playing messily with it. It's distracting them from the fact that they can't sleep even if they wanted to.

After a moment, Liam finds himself reminiscing of the conversations they've had, and trying to think of a topic to talk about. It suddenly comes to him and he's blurting it out before he can stop himself, "I'm afraid of not helping everyone."

Theo looks down at him and shakes his head slightly, concerned. "You don't have to—"

"I want to."

Liam looks up, their faces close but they're so unaware of it due to the dim light. But when the light flashes they see each other, eyes widening and jerking away from each other just slightly. It goes quiet for a second until Liam starts to talk again, thank god, or else it could've led to something else.