A Change of Heart

Chapter 4

There was an awkward silence that resound through the room. The hello that I had said about thirty seconds ago still rung in the air. The woman next to the man with my eyes cleared her throat and bumped him harshly.

He too cleared his throat and wiped his hands on his nicely tailored pants. Stepping around the couch he slowly made his way towards me.

He made a complete stop in front of me and opened his mouth. Nothing came out. He stared at me closely like he was analyzing me.

"Hi," he finally said but it came out hoarsely and not as confident as I thought it would have. I guess the shock of seeing his daughter for the first time was too much for him to handle.

"James!" The woman said in a harsh whisper.

So that was his name. James. James Steele.

"It's a pleasure to have you here Rue," he said professionally. All sense of nervousness seemed to escape his demeanor completely.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

The woman with the brown and blond hair made her way toward us. She put on a big smile but something about her made me uneasy.

She reached out her hand for me to shake it, "hello Rue I'm Joanne, James's wife.

Ah there it was. The source of the weird vibe I was getting off of her. She looked at me expectantly with her hand still out. I shook it cautiously but said nothing.

I wasn't sure what to do. Was I supposed to hate her? I mentally sighed. This was too much for one day. I honestly wanted to take a nap and forget that this awkward conversation ever transpired.

She cleared he throat glancing at her...husband, "umm honey why don't you show Rue to her room while I check on dinner."

She looked back at me "did Jim already take your bags?"

I shook my head and motioned my head towards my knapsack, "nope, this is all I've got."

They both frowned. And Joanne's yes were filled with pity. She didn't even attempt to hide it. I wanted to snap at her so badly but I knew that doing so would only cause problems.

"We will go shopping first thing tomorrow then ok?" without looking at me she left the room.

My eyes widened in surprise. She was buying me clothes? Why was she being so nice to me?

"Come on," James motioned of me to follow him up the grand stairs.

Walking up the stairs I tried to hide my awe. The house was absolutely stunning. Stepping on the carpet felt like stepping on a cloud. There were more rooms than I could count. And there were a set of intricate iron spindled stairs leading to what seemed to be another floor.

Everything in the house looked and most likely was extremely expensive. Even the air seemed richer.

I wondered where I would be staying. I didn't expect much; a small bed would be a step up from the couch I slept on for most of my life. I had permanent kinks in my back from sleeping on the lumpy couch in my old apartment.

Suddenly I bumped into a wall. Rubbing my nose I took a step back. I looked to see it wasn't a wall that I ran into but James's back.

"This will be your room. The walls aren't painted but you can have them whatever color you want," he explained.

I shrugged. Paint wasn't really a priority.

He opened the door and I had to hold back a gasp.

A king sized bed lay in the center. There were two doors that were open which led to my very own bathroom AND closet. The bed spread didn't have any stains or holes. It was something out of a magazine or a dream.

"Rue ar-are you alright?" James stuttered awkwardly.

I looked at him questioningly. Why would he ask me if I was ok.

"I'm," my voice came out slightly hoarse. Then I felt something warm sliding off of my cheek. I brought my hand up to my face and wiped away the substance. Tears?

I grimaced. I guess I missed having a bed more than I thought I did. I looked up to see James with concern etched in his expression.

"The bed-," I stopped. Why did I just say that? I didn't mean to tell him; I was just going to say that I was fine. I sighed. Well too late to take it back now.

"What about the bed?" He asked curiously.

"It's the first time in a long time that I've had one. Let alone my own room. So I guess my body missed it more than I thought it did," I chuckled trying to make light of the conversation.

He frowned and then looked slightly angry. I wondered what I'd said to cause that reaction.

"Well this whole room is yours. Also I already enrolled you in school, so you'll be attending on Monday," he informed.

I nodded. He looked at me once more before leaving me to myself. Before I could this twice about what I was going to do I rushed after him.

"Hey James?" I yelled.

He turned around surprised to hear my voice, "yes?"

"Thanks," I said simply and rushed back into the room leaving the stunned man behind.

At that moment I decided I wouldn't hate him, or blame him for my mother's mistakes. I just wanted to start fresh...to start a new beginning.

****

Sorry that it's kind of short. I promise the next chapter will be longer.

VOMMENT anytime!!!!

She's not totally heartless. When needed she can see reason so that's why she being a bit nicer.