III - Devils Brew

I had been staring at the various selections of all the drinks available to me on my kitchen counter for more than five minutes. Some people were pouring themselves drinks, spilling everywhere. I sighed.

It was close to being midnight and the party only seemed to be starting. The tipsy excitement I had been feeling before my encounter with Jack had completely faded, leaving me exhausted instead.

Instead of pouring myself an alcoholic beverage I reached inside the fridge to get myself some water to sober up before walking back outside. Carter was laying down on the launcher, scrolling on his phone. The wind outside has become colder, and this dress was barely providing any warmth.

"I'm back." I said, sitting down in the opposite launcher, lying down as well.

Carter turned to me, lighting up. "Oh hey, what took you so long?"

"I had to use the restroom..." I said, looking up at the stars, my teeth clattering.

"Are you cold? Do you want to go inside?" Carter instantly asked, already sitting up, shrugging off his flannel.

He offered me his hand to help me up, putting the warm piece of clothing around my bare shoulders. It smelled like him.

Not saying anything else, he put his hand at the small of my back, guiding me back inside the house. The music blared loudly, and it was much warmer inside, but I didn't like how it was so crowded.

"Let's go upstairs." I suggested.

"What?" He asked loudly, trying to be heard over the music.

I moved closer to his ear before repeating what I'd said, and he nodded, walking with me towards the staircase and to my room, hand still on the small of my back.

"Wow." He said, the moment we walked into my room. He looked at all the book shelves and the various books placed on them. "Those are a shit load of books."

I breathed a laugh, sitting on my bureau chair. I was comfortable with Carter being on my room, but I didn't know how I felt about us sitting on the same bed, both of us having clouded judgment because of the alcohol I had consumed. I had been starting to sober up, but I was still a little dizzy.

"Did you read all of them?" Carter asked, referring to the countless books.

I nodded, "Except for the ones on my nightstand."

He hummed before an awkward silence spread around the room. I looked at my hands, heart drumming at a calm pace in my chest. I was alone with Carter in my room. This seemed like a dream come true.

But my encounter with Jack had quite literally ruined everything. The happiness I was feeling had been sucked from me, Amber also to blame. Not as much as Jack, because through it all he knew. He knew what she did to me. And that was the only reason I felt so betrayed, that my happiness had faded almost completely. I didn't even feel some type of way, having Carter in my room; barely acknowledged it.

I was biting my lip hard, my mind constantly going back to Amber and how she was shamelessly flirting with Jack. For some reason I wasn't even sure if it was solely because of what Amber did. It was because Jack was watching me the whole time, making sure I saw it.

I never found out what his goal was. Why he did it, what he was trying to achieve. Could it be that he was trying to make me jelous? Or was he just purposely trying to hurt me?

The more I pondered over it, the more obvious it was that it was the latter. But why was he trying to hurt me? He mentioned before he didn't like Carter, but surely that wasn't the only thing that drove him to hurt me like that, right?

"Earth to Julia," Carter chuckled, suddenly in front of me. "You ok?"

My face turned red at how close he was, hands on either side on the armrest of my bureau chair. I smiled, embarrassed at how I just got lost in my thoughts.

"I'm sorry..." I apologized, awkwardly trying to lean back. He was a little too close for my liking.

He seemed to notice my discomfort and smiled, pulling away. "That's fine. Do you want me to get you a drink?"

I shook my head with a smile. "I'm good, I got my water."

"Oh okay."

"I'm actually kind of tired..." I said, rubbing my temples. The alcohol was subsiding as I worked my way through my water, but the headache that showed up was starting to seem like a promising hangover.

"Oh alright. Well I'm gonna go I guess." Carter said, smiling at me.

"I'll see you at school." I muttered, and surprisingly he walked towards me with open arms. He was going to hug me!

I blushed as his arms wrapped around me, enveloping me in his warmth. He smelled of alcohol, and the hug was too short for my liking, but it made my night. I hugged Carter!

We said bye one more time before he left my room, and I zipped out of my dress after locking the door behind him. I gathered all essentials before taking a short shower and eventually getting into bed when I was done.

My muscles relaxed the moment I fell down on my bed, and I fell asleep immediately, forgetting completely about Lexi.

----------
authors note;

short chapter im so sorry i just really wanted to update ily