5 ||

Chapter 5

"Do you want to go out tonight?" Sarah asked as she packed up her lunch on the table. I looked to her.

"Tonight?" I questioned. I knew I looked apprehensive but I just couldn't help it. I hardly went out drinking back home and here, I hardly knew the place. I wasn't exactly adventurous.

"Yes, I didn't stutter." She rolled her eyes but humour was evident on her face. "Don't look at me like that, you're coming out with me because I get bored going home to an empty apartment."

"But-"

"There's going to be absolutely no buts." She replied back firmly. I couldn't argue with a face or a tone of voice like that. Sarah was wild and a lot tougher than me physically. I wasn't going to argue with her full stop.

"Fine." I sighed. There was no harm in going out and she was right, it did get boring going back to an empty apartment. Maybe it was time to become adventurous, maybe now this was my time to become confident, free, wild. It was well overdue.

Sarah squealed in a way that so wasn't Sarah as she clapped lightly. I looked to her with narrowed eyelids but her excitement was infectious.

"Sarah, don't you have work to do?" I asked, a smile spread it's way across my face.

"You're honestly like my mother." She replied back.

"Do you like your mother?"

"Of course I do, why?"

"Then you'll love me." I stated. She chuckled loudly before putting her bag back in to a locker and tucking her shirt back in to her trousers which she weirdly takes out to eat.

"I do." She stated. "I'll see you tonight, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"One hundred percent?" She was making sure I was definitely going to go.

"Yes." I laughed. "I promise." Sarah nodded firmly before leaving the staff room to get back to work. I had ten more minutes of my lunch break before I also had to get back to work.

Luckily, the day was flying by and soon I'd be at my apartment getting ready to go out with Sarah. What had I gotten myself in to?

I was feeling quite excited to go out tonight, however, even with my earlier apprehension. This was going to be the new me, the Chloe that was just like her sister. I wanted to feel more free, have more fun and live a little. It was always hard for me to do so but now was the time to change.

You only lived once and I was adamant to make this life the best.

I had my dream job, a small apartment all to myself and now I was going to live like the young woman I was. All I needed now was the dream guy.

It was always hard for me to act confident around the opposite gender. This time was going to be different. I solemnly swore to myself that the next man to come along my way, I would put in my upmost effort to sustain a relationship. I was going to do my life right this time, no more hiding, no more running and way more staying and enjoying every little minute.

Yes, I was already loving the new me.

With my head held higher and my body straight with a new found confidence, I left the staff room. Before me, a man who worked on the same floor as me, Paul, came barrelling my way.

Oh God, I'm so glad I didn't mean it literally when I was talking about the next man to come along. Paul was lovely but he was around forty and had five kids. Paul was just not the man for me.