New Duties

Her arm^^^^^🎉😱

1st person POV

The minute I left my room the next morning and started walking towards the canteen whispers followed me. People were starring which made me feel very uncomfortable and I had to stop myself from glaring at them. I guess word had got out that there was going to be a second General and me, Leia had a meeting about it yesterday.

"I bet the second General will be that hot pilot Poe Dameron," a soldier said to her friend and they both started giggling.

For some reason when I heard Poe's name I felt myself get annoyed at her for no reason, I didn't even know these people and I was getting annoyed. Strange.

"Well, you're going to be very disappointed," I muttered under my breath.

I sat down with my breakfast in a corner of the canteen alone, trying to get away from the starring.

"May I sit here?" Looking up I see Poe. I felt my heart beat get faster, what the hell is going on with me?

I nodded, "Sure," and he sat down opposite me.

Leaning in closer he whispered, "Leia told me who the second General is going to be and I for one think you're the best choice."

Shocked I looked up at him amazed, "You really think so?"

"Yes, if Leia trust you with The Base and her life, I trust you with mine." He looked me straight in the eye as he said this and I felt myself blush. My confidence grew.

"Thank you Poe," I genuinely meant it as well, it's not everyday someone says that.

"Hey guys sorry to interrupt your moment but I don't know anyone else here, can I join?"

Turning around I see Rey, "Oh my god Rey," getting up I quickly hug her. "How are you?" I ask as we sit down.

"Good, I was in the infirmary for a little while and then was sleeping in my room after the funeral, I'm so sorry I didn't come and see you. Leia told me about you becoming second General, that's really awesome," Rey said smiling.

"Thanks Rey, to be honest I don't know how 'awesome' it's going to be, it's a lot of responsibility and what if I mess up!" I said feeling worried.

"I'm sure you won't." Rey comforted patting my arm. Poe looked like he wanted to say something but couldn't get the words out, I just shrugged it off. "Han would've been proud to know you stepped up to General though."

"Thanks," I grinned, "I hope he is."

"Course he is," Poe joined in the conversation, "You were like a daughter to him."

I almost spoke about Ben but kept my mouth shut. That wasn't my secret to tell. "It's just figuring out what to do next. Does the job come with instructions?"

Poe and Rey chuckled but I didn't mean to be funny. "Want  some advice?" Poe offered, "There isn't a rule book for this sort of thing because it's all-new territory. No one has stood up to the First Order before so we're really just flying blindly and hoping everything will work out."

"That makes sense," I nodded sipping my water, "I wonder if they knew what they were starting when the Rebels fought against the Empire?"

"Probably not," Rey shook her head, "I think they'd like it though."

"The Resistance fights with the same goals in mind, peace for the galaxy and everyone living freely. That's what all this is really about," Poe nodded looking around the canteen at the Resistance fighters going about their business and eating. 

"I think we're going to be in this fight for a long time."

"What makes you say that?" Rey questioned.

I paused for a moment before replying with, "Because there's always someone who wants control. Someone who wanted to bang freedom out and make their way the only way. The First Order will fall one day and the next group will rise. The years of 'peace' in the middle are just the calm before the storm."

Poe and Rey glanced at each other as I finished my breakfast not looking at them. "You sound like a General," Poe grinned slightly, "You're wise."

I scoffed rolling my eyes. "Let's go and visit Finn, I haven't seen him yet," Rey suggested cheerfully now we were finished, "I'm pretty sure he will want to see your arm, Sof, it's badass."

Chuckling, I got up, "What about you pilot you wanna come?" I expected him to say no, that he was busy with work but, he nodded and got up to follow me and Rey.

As Rey walked into the infirmary Poe grabbed my arm stopping me from going inside "You know why I know you won't mess up being second General?" He said seriously.

"Why?" I asked curiously, was there a secret way of doing it?

"Because after a speech like that you just pulled, I believe in you."

My heart melted at his words and I just hugged him, my heart sped up as I felt his arms around my waist.

"Let's go in or they will thing we ran away," he said laughing and we entered the infirmary.

Rey was right Finn was very excited to see my arm, he was looking better and would be out in a few days. His back had a huge scar on it which he would have for the rest of his life he told us excitedly.

We all talked for what felt like hours, I was now starting to see the chemistry between Rey and Finn, the way they looked at each other like they would do anything for the other. I knew it wouldn't be long before they became a couple. 

I turned my head to face Poe, who was sat in one of the chairs next to Finn's bed, I on the other hand was sat on Finns bed. He was starring at me but not in the creepy way that made me feel uncomfortable it was more like an admiring look.

"What?" I asked looking at him,

"Nothing," he mumbled looking away.

I glanced at Finn and Rey who had a knowing look in their eyes and I rolled my eyes at them both.

"Sofia we need to talk, my office please," Leia's voice rang through the room on my com.

"Sure thing boss," I said back into it getting up. "I must be in trouble, I'll see you guys later." I waved and headed for the door.

"Bye!" I heard Poe, Rey and Finn call as I left.

It sure is nice to see Finns better, but why was Poe starring at me like that and why did Finn and Rey look at me like that? Do they know something I don't?

"Hey Leia," I said opening the door to her office.

"You really must learn to knock," she relied not looking up from some papers she was reading.

"Well, becoming a General isn't going to make me change any of my habits good or bad," I replied sassily.

"I know that's another reason I picked you. You won't let stupid rules or peoples opinion stop you."

"Ah don't I'm blushing," I joked making her roll her eyes while smiling slightly. 

"We are here to talk about your duties." She stated putting away her papers and looking at me.

"Alright," I sat down in front of her getting comfortable in the chair.

About an hour later I left Leia's office with a card for almost every door in the base including my very own office near Leia's, a new uniform which I wasn't going to wear. My very own X-Wing, not sure what I'm going to do with that. A badge stating my ranking and an ear piece which I could use to contact anyone connected to Resistance comms.

I put the card on my belt and the ear piece in my ear, it would take a bit of getting used to but overall I liked it. Leia also told me that she would be announcing that I was the new General this evening at dinner and that I should prepare some sort of speech, not sure how that was going to turn out so I guess I'll just wing it.

God I hope they don't complain about me being second General. I have a few hours before dinner so I decided to head back to my room and figure out how to make the uniform more.... 'me'.

Hey hey, hope you enjoyed this chapter, if you did you know what to do. What do you guys thing about Sofia becoming a General?? Let me know in comments! ❤️