Chapter 15- I Know You:

A/N: (Pic of Lexi on the side -->)

Chapter 15- I Know You:

The inside of the pack house didn’t look any better than the outside. There were women and men moaning and crying everywhere. Some of the men were yelling to get the women checked out first. It was a dreadful sight. With each pack member we passed, I healed them until they were silently just lying wherever it was they were. Some of the women even looked at me and smiled gratefully. I nodded at them in return and kept moving on. I didn’t know where Alex planned on taking me, but I stopped him once we were far enough inside the house.

“Do you hear her?” I asked.

“Hear who?”

“Rose! Can you hear her or smell her? Anywhere?” I asked desperately. He looked up toward the ceiling and began to take deep breaths. I waited anxiously.

“No,” he said after about a minute. I stared at him blankly. No? But that didn’t make any sense. I didn’t see Rose come outside with us and she was nowhere to be found when we were all crowded inside of that room before the fight.

“That’s not possible,” I mumbled.

“Cassie, I don’t think—”

“I’m going to look upstairs. She has to be here. There’s nowhere else she could be.”

“You need to rest,” he protested.

“I need to find my daughter, Alex. Please just help me find her,” I begged. He gazed down at me, contemplating it for a few seconds before finally nodding and holding me tighter to him to help me up the steps. But it still wasn’t enough to keep my leg from giving out on me about a fourth of the way up. Alex lifted me up again, but this time my leg absolutely refused to cooperate.

“How about I go look for her. You go and sit and rest. You’ll be no good to her if you’re still beat up like this,” Alex said. I wanted to argue. I wanted to tell him that I had to go and find her because I owed her that and much more. I still couldn’t believe I’d forgotten about her. The fight was no excuse. I should’ve been more attentive. I should’ve looked for her before I even stepped foot outside. But I didn’t. And now here we were, searching around the house for her wherever it was Sasha had taken her.

Alex took me back down the steps and placed me in a spare chair up against one of the walls. He told me to stay put before he jogged up the stairs, taking them three at a time. As I waited impatiently, I tried to keep my attention focused on helping as many shifters as I could, healing them as much as possible for as long as I could. Every ounce of the pain they had come onto me and I squeezed my eyes shut tightly to try and hold back a loud groan. I watched as men carried other men and women around from outside, trying to find a place for them to lie down. There was shouting everywhere. Every time a man or woman that hadn’t been harmed carried a shifter toward the back of the house, they came back with even more blood on them than before. I suddenly got the feeling that this was exactly what they’d been going through for the past five years. The guilt was almost suffocating as I watched some pack members have their pulses checked by other shifters and the shifters shake their heads with grim faces, telling whoever it was that was trying to help them that it was too late.

“Cassie!”

My head slowly turned back toward the stairs as Alex thundered down them, an alarmed expression on his face. My gaze dropped down to what he was holding in his arms and my heart stopped.

He was carrying a limp, unconscious, and pale Rose.

“No,” I whispered. “No, no, no, no,” I repeated over and over again as he brought her to me.