11

Rajveer

"Hello, mum." I said immediately received her call. What was wrong now?

"Where are you son?" She asked, angrily. By her tone alone, I could tell there was a problem.

"I...am at—" I didn't get to finish my statement because I was interrupted by her. She had a habit of doing that whenever she was mad.

"Come back home, I have something to discuss with you." she stated. I hoped Roshni had not complained about me, because if she did,  I knew mum would be very disappointed at me and it might affect her health.

"But mum..." I trailed off "I am busy right now. Is there a problem?" I asked. I hoped not because I couldn't deal with an angry mum.

"Just come home and see me first." she said and hung up before I could comprehend.

When I got home, I went straight to mum's room. I met her seated on her bed patiently waiting for me.

"Where were you?" She asked without looking up at me. She was mad, I could tell.

"I was at work." I lied. I knew better than to tell her the truth.

"But that was not what your wife told me." she gazed at me. I was right all along, she reported me to mum.

"What did she tell you?" I dared to ask. If Roshni did tell her, I didn't know what I would do to her.

"She told me you went to see your friend." she replied. So she did not tell mum after all. Good girl! I honestly thought she would disclose everything to mum. I was glad she didn't.

"That's also true. I went to see my friend first, then I went to work." thumbs up to you, you did a great job in rectifying your mistake – I mentally patted myself on the back.

"You were given a week to spend your time fully with your wife, weren't you?" She asked.

"I was, but I just missed working and decided to see how things are going in my absence." I smiled. I hoped she bought my lie.

"How about your wife?" She asked.

I don't care about her, she can leave this house for all I care. "What happened to her?" I pretended to be concerned.

"I didn't say anything was wrong with her. Is it right for you to leave her all alone at home?" She asked, sternly.

"When I left, she wasn't alone. Sam was home."

"I know, but as a newly wedded bride, the husband is suppose to keep her company and never leave her in boredom. She just came into this house, it is your job to make her feel at home here." she lectured. I didn't give any reply to what she said, because I was angry. She called me back only to ask why I left Roshni all alone at home.  If I could, I would leave her forever. I was just doing all these for her sake,  but she didn't even understand me. I was having a hard time, I got married to her even though I didn't want to, for her sake.

"It won't happen again." I sighed.

"You should apologize to your wife for leaving her alone in the room." mum advised. I was definitely not going to do that.

"I will." I said tersely only so she could allow me leave.

"And...I want you to take her out today." She suggested.