Chapter 3 - The Great Escape

I just finished telling another story. "If I ever get out of here I should become an author," I joked. I had pantry of stories goong around in my head. I just needed to ref in them more and I could have the next big thing.

"I'd read your books," Shiro agreed. We were able to have simple conversations from time to time. It was still morning, so they jadnt come yet to take either of us away. I'm glad he's always asleep when I return, as I don't want him to see what has been happening to me. At this point I have a robotic leg, like he had arm, but you know leg.

"I'd dedicate one to you," I told him. It was nice being able to talk as if we were schoolmates and not prison mates. I'm sure if he hadn't shown up I would have broke by now. Whenever he leaves all I can focus on is my fear. My fear that he won't return. He's the only thing I have left to hold on to.

The Galra know this. He lost his arm because of this. He's fighting in more dangerous fights because of this. They are trying to break me by hirting him. They said if I joined them they would allow him to be my right hand, but I'd follow him before I let anyone follow me. Either way, all his sufferibg was because of me.

"As long as it contains a dashing hero with a wicked scar on his face," he joked. We both let out a little laugh. It's hard to laugh in place like that.

As our chuckles died, I felt their presence. The guards were coming, that ment two things. They were going to takw Shiro to a fight, or to tourter me. As I saw their shadows fall through the window in my door, and that my door didn't open, I assumed they took Shiro. The thoughts arrised.

I sat there pleading with myself for his return. He was gone longer than usual. I was getting worried. I tried to sense him, but I couldn't with all the power on the ship, and the collar that restricted my abilities. I became frantic, my heart beating at an alarming rate, drenched in a warm sweat, a lump forming in my throat, and the strong desire to vomit. I struggled to breath, so I just tried focusing on that. When the second meal came, and Shiro hasn't returned, I broke. He would always be back by then.

I tripped the roots of my hair as tears silently slid down my face. "Shiro..." I gasped before my voice gave out. I started thinking back, to a certain conversation we had.

"Wanna play hooky?" he asked out of the blue. The guards were pretty lenant about us talking, and Im sure they weren't aware of all the weird sayings and upemisems their were on Earth. He had basically asked if I wanted to escape from here. "Cause Im pretty sure we can."

"Its pretty difficult, I don't think its worth it," I responded. We were trying to make it seem like we were talkinf about some kind of game. "Besides I don't know how."

"I do," he told me. I figured he was doing something when he went quite during the day. I guess he was preparing to escape. "I can help you."

"Adding me to it would just cause risks," I told him. That statement may have made it seem more suspicious, but I said it anyways.

"I've already thoight it through," he reassured me, "We just have to be insinc."

"Just do it with out me," I shrugged, I didn't want to risk it. I didn't have any idea what would happen if we were to get caught. I didn't want to inflict anymore pain on him.

"Ohana," he said in a serious tone. I smiled. No one gets left behind. Well Shiro, we aren't family.

"Seriously Shiro, I don't want to try," I told him, trying to sound annoyed. "But if you succeed, I might want to try." I hoped he knew what I meant. If he escaped, I wanted him to come back for me.

The days to follow they toutered me more and more. They seemed desperate. Like they needed me on their side right at that moment. I was basically a cripple by the time they were done. They only thing I could feel was my connection to Red. But that soon faded away. I was nothing but a fool.

All their work they had done to me had been for nothing. I was nothing. I had nothing. I broke down my walls. I was sure they were going to kill me. I didn't want to die. That was all that I was sure of. So when they threw me into the gladiator match, I fought for my life. It helped that they pain the monster inflicted was nothing compaired to the tourter. I'm sure I had a broken leg, but I didn't feel a thing.

I stood there, emotionless as I took the title of Champion. The title my friend once had. I had been returned to my cell, and I just curled into a ball in the corner. I was covered in blood. I always had been. But for once it wasn't my own blood.