Chapter 9

FPOV

"you idiot." I say turning abruptly away from Chase. How could he be so stupid. Didn't I tell him to leave? Instead he stopped and hide behind a tree. And now Max is gone.

"I already said it once, I'm not going to say it again!" says Chase with what looked like a tear about to fall from his eye. He had said something about being able to help get Max back. I clutch my fist and I turn to look at him. He looks at me for a second. I chuckle.

"You actually think your in love with Max, don't you?" I say with mockery. Chase flushes red and grinds his teeth. He pushes me back with a strong hand that I didn't expect.

"I know I love Max." Chase says, his voice getting thick. I smirk. This really ticks him off. "LOOK WHOS TALKING! DO YOU LOVE HER? AT LEAST I DIDN'T CHEAT ON HER!" He says. I was taken back. How did he know? Did Max actually tell him about me and Chelsea. No she wouldn't, she couldn't have...

"Who told you this?" I ask him in a harsh whisper. Chase glares at me. Then he looks away, stuffing his hands in his pockets. He doesn't say anything. I turn around again and unfurl my wings. It takes me only two strokes to get me into the air.

"Where are you going?" Chase shouts up at me.

"Home." I say not turning back.

"What about MAX!" He says desperately. I sigh.

"Its late, go home. Tomorrow I'll tell the others. Then we'll set out to get her. We'll bring her back ourselves, your just a normal person...and you'll only get in the way." I say before I head for the cabin.

CPOV

No. Why was he going to wait? Didn't he fear what they could do her? I run back to the road where I had left all my thing when I saw Max falling. It was horrible, at that moment I could feel my heart ache as I saw her coming down. I was more then relieved when is saw her conscious, but the ankle thing was still bad.

I get on my skate board and turn around. My parent are never home, so it was okay to go over to the cabin for a while. They are going to be so sad when they find out, Iggy, Gazzy, Nudge, and Angel. How where they going to do this with out me? I just have to go. I'm the one that got Max into this, and I think I know how to get her out.

Really, the only problem I see here is how I'm going to get there. But besides that. I could deal with. I use my foot to speed me down the road as fast as I could go.

I look up at the sky. I'm not to far away from Fang. I can make it there around the same time as him. I aim down the road, dodging easily around cars and other things. I feel a vibration coming from my pocket, I was getting a call. I don't slow down as I pull my cell phone out.

"Hello." I say.

"Son, where are you?" Came a deep voice from the other end. I flinch at the sound of it. God, he really picked a good moment to call me.

"Why do you need to know?" I ask as seriously as I could sound, I didn't want him to hear that I had been crying. It was silent for a second.

"... Never mind. What are you doing?" He asks. I clear my throat.

"I'm headed home." I say hoping he wasn't actually home waiting for me. But somehow, I doubt It.

"That's good. You can go to sleep early, You did a good job today, I heard that they finally captured the famous Maximum Ride. And that you had a big part of it. Also I heard that your getting promoted." My dad says. "I'm proud of you."

I gulp. "...yea. Thanks." I say.

"Get home safe." He says before hanging up. I put my cell phone down slowly. We'll see how proud he is of me after I do this. I reach the path to get into the house after a while. I leave my board there and just run into the small opening. I get to the house in less then five minutes. I knock on the door. Fang had somehow beaten me here. I hear foot steps coming slowly, and then stop. I put my ear to the door and listen.