15: Rise

Granger Dojo, Bey City, Japan

Third had decided she'd transport them close to Daichi's home village tomorrow after obtaining its location from Daichi using some of her powers and asked them to eat and sleep properly for tomorrow. They decided not to bring a big crowd that would draw attention to themselves. Not to mention that some of them had to stay and take care of Black Dranzer and Raul.

Kai, Max, Ray, Daichi, Kenny, Hilary, Night, Aya, Riku, Hiro, Tala, Lee, Mariah, Michael, Robert, Ozuma, Zeo, Miguel and Garland had agreed to go to the ancient village while Third would accompany them. She informed them that she had already interfered once in their dealings against the Forsaken Fallen so she couldn't help them if they needed assistance.

Kai was outside when he heard footsteps approaching him. He turned around and was surprised to see Night standing behind him, holding a package in his hands. Night sat down and placed the package next to him, "A young man asked me to deliver this to you."

Kai stared at the package then back at Night, "How did you-? I thought Max was in the dojo with Ray, Aya and Riku."

Night smiled softly, "He is. You see, I asked Third for a favor. I asked her if she could help me regain my physical body. Since I was sealed properly, I kept my physical body, unlike the others. I was just not strong enough to project it properly. Thanks to Third, I have regained my body."

Kai patted Night in the back, "Glad to hear."

Night leaned closer, "What is in the package?" Kai wondered if Night was aware that he was invading Kai's personal space. Kai didn't comment because it wasn't like Night would take advantage of his uncomfortableness. Rin and Tyson, on the other hand, would tease him endlessly.

Kai grabbed the package and opened it. Night heard Kai's breath hitch and tried to look at what Kai was looking at. His eyes softened when he finally caught a glimpse of what Kai had in his hands.

It was an old photo that seemed to have survived a fire of some sort as the edges were brown where they had been burned. In the picture, he could see six smiling people. Two of them – two grinning children that must have been four or five – were Rin and Kai. Kai was being carried by a couple Night knew were his parents. Rin was being carried by his parents as well, reaching out for whoever was taking the picture. Night turned to Kai, "This photograph-."

"Rin used to carry it all the time after the incident. Apparently, Akasuki found it and he never parted with it. Why did he-?" Kai asked before reaching in and finding another photograph, this one newer and in better condition.

It was a picture of Kai and the Bladebreakers, Tyson having an arm around his neck while Max was talking animatedly with Ray, who was laughing, while Kenny was trying to grab the attention of the bladers. Judging by how young they looked, Kai deduced that this picture was taken during the first tournament the Bladebreakers had been in. He hadn't even known Rin had gone to the tournaments.

There were more pictures in there – some of the past, some of the time he was with the Bladebreakers – and there were several letters and birthday cards there as well, all of them dating years back, as if Rin had wanted Kai to have them but decided not to send them. When Kai reached the bottom of the box, he was surprised when he found a tattered and old red scarf that seemed to belong to a child.

He gave out a mirthless chuckle, "After ten years, you show me this? What a lousy birthday present, Rin." He grabbed the scarf, remembering when he had gotten his mother to help make this scarf for Rin's sixth birthday. Maybe, this way, he had said, Rin won't get sick anymore.

Rin always wore the scarf, calling it his precious treasure. After the incident – after being kidnapped by the Forsaken Fallen – Rin had stopped wearing the scarf. Kai had always thought he had thrown it away. Here it was, though, after so long.