Six

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

A fist flies into his cheek and his head snaps to the side. Bear blinks and spits a globule of blood onto the floor. Three men stand around him, all wearing the same angry expression. Bear wipes his mouth and swallows the blood still in his mouth. The nearest glares at him, his fist clenched at his side. The seconds tick by slowly. In this slight moment of hesitation they wait for a response from the solid stocky man in front of them. He had absorbed most of the shock staying firmly on his feet. His eyes are glazed but remarkably focused. Only a few more seconds and a retaliatory hit and this could descend into chaos.

The bartender has frozen in his spot, the thought flashing through his mind that he cannot remove all four men easily. He reaches out slowly for the bottles nearest the men to get his profits safe.

The girl who has caused the tension hides behind Bear, her hand still wrapped around his bicep. Only minutes before she had draped herself on his side and flirted heavily, eyelashes fluttering. Despite the lack of response she had not given up and had placed a kiss on his cheekbone. That was when Bear had been pulled round and a fist had flown into his face. Bear had responded by sweeping her behind him, habit more than a conscious thought, and spitting on the floor. His drink waits for him on the bar.

Another second ticks by and the man's fist loosens as his eyes meet Bear's. Bear's lips twitch upwards and his eyes spark. He knows what power their appearance holds. Anger at seeing his woman still clutching onto Bear has the man's fists tightening again but now there is uncertainty in his stance. Never before has he seen eyes that do not match. One eye regards him with a coolness reflecting in the green, the other watches him with darkness in the depths of the brown. 'What curse or mistake caused this?' runs through the man's superstitious mind.

He senses the other two men taking a step back as the information sifts through their simple minds.

"She is going to be my wife." He lowly asserts.

Bear frowns and his eyes shift to the woman whose fingers dig into his arm. He shakes her off and pushes her towards the man. "I suggest you find someone else." Bear turns away and picks up his drink and downs it in one. The delicious liquid numbs the fresh pain in his mouth and waters down the metallic taste of blood. Bear grinds his teeth at the man's heavy hand falling on his shoulder. Must he keep getting interrupted when all he wishes is to drink to oblivion?

"You should speak with more respect considering my future wife!" The man foolishly orders.

Bear nods at the bartender who warily shakes his head, refusing another drink. Bear growls and turns, the hand releasing him with the sudden movement. He laughs as if the man has told a joke. "I come here. I do not bother anyone. I do not make friends, I do not make enemies. Your future wife draped herself over me. I do not see why I should pay respect to a woman like that."

The man tries to hit Bear again but the latter ducks out of the way and shoves the man back between his ribs. The man gasps for a breath.

"I ignored her. I expected her to understand and leave me alone. Then you appear and try to start a fight." Bear pauses as the man tries yet again. Bear sweeps his legs out from under him. "You seem to think that you can win. My training is far superior to yours regardless of how much I drink. Keep trying and I will show you just how much I hate being refused another drink." Despite the clear warning underlining the words the man tries to attack again and again. Bear never allows a hit to make contact even when his vision blurs and his head pounds with the high alcohol content in his blood.

His patience wears thin. This is not a distraction from the thoughts that circle his mind. She is still there and Hunter still mocks his skill in deflecting the blows. In his mind's eye he sees her turn away sadness etching her features. The man makes solid contact with Bear's gut. He grunts and for the first time goes into the offense. Punch after punch makes contact and the man spits blood from his split lip as he cradles his side. He now tries to step away.