Twenty Two

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

A Glimpse into the Past

Bear takes in the scene before him with unamused annoyance. He raps his knuckles against the now open door and the couple jump apart as if ice cold water has been dumped upon their heads. The woman turns her face away, trying to hide her identity but Bear can see her cheeks flaming like a roaring fire from where he is standing. Her efforts are in vain. He knew who she was the moment he stepped into the room. Her figure and the raven black hair is a sure sign to her identity. 

The man rights his shirt's collar and runs his hair through his fingers, satisfaction in the small twitching of his lips. Bear studies all of this through narrowed eyes. The man is a new servant within the household; he should appear much more contrite and afraid than he does. It is almost as if he planned to be caught with the Lord's future bride. A passionate embrace, even with clothes on, comes with a heavy price.

"Miss Raven." Bear speaks, his tone holding a warning. She turns, her lips thoroughly red and her cheeks still flaming. Her hair falls down around her shoulders and Bear understands the temptation. She is beautiful; but she has just committed an act of disloyalty towards his brother. Any attractiveness she holds is immediately dampened.

"I would suggest that you inform a maid to pack your belongings. Your stay with us has come to its end." Bear moves his attention to the man. "I order you to join me in informing my brother of this situation."

"No." Bear's head snaps back to the desperate declaration from Raven. She shakes her head, hair bouncing on her shoulders. "Please Bear..." The tightening of his jaw has her changing her address to him, "...Lord Usani, do not tell your brother. It was a mistake and it will not happen again."

"Indeed it will not," Is the harsh reply. "I know my brother well, Miss Iceni. He values loyalty above all else. You have broken it along with any trust. How is anyone to believe a word that you say?"

"But..." She presses her lips together. "Surely we can come to some agreement, my family need this match. I cannot let them down."

"You should have thought of that before becoming entangled with one of my servants." Bear turns at his brother's voice. Wolfe's expression is neutral and uninterested as he looks at Raven. "My brother is correct. You should collect your belongings and I will arrange an escort for you to return home. You are no longer welcome within my lands."

Wolfe glances to the side and nods. Two women enter the room and approach Raven. She drops her head and follows them out of the room, tears in her eyes. Wolfe exhales slowly, keeping his temper in check. He then stares at the man remaining who now appears a little uncomfortable. "How far did he compromise her?" He asks Bear.

"Clothes on. Her virtue is still intact although I do not know if that would be the case if I had not discovered them."

"Then her father has no reason for complaint when she returns." Wolfe muses. "And you," he speaks to the man, "are no longer under my employ and banned from these lands. Your crime is much smaller than hers but a crime still. If I ever see your face again I will have you hanged." The man's skin rapidly loses colour. Bear raises an eyebrow.

"I would run as fast as my legs would carry me if I was you." Bear suggests. The man takes him at his word and darts around the twins and sprints down the hallway. "That was rather kind of you."

"Send for Leo, Jag and Ra. They've enjoyed their time off long enough. They should enjoy the sport of terrifying the man into never coming back." Wolfe's lips tweak up. Bear grins.