Chapter Twenty-Five. E&J swap to be with Scott

Start from the beginning

'Where're we going?' said Jessica.

'The hotel where Scott and I stayed the first time we came to Boston.'

They sat in the back of the cab and watched the Friday afternoon volume of traffic going out of the city. It was hot and both the back windows had a gap of two inches to let in some air.

'First time I've been to the States.' Jessica reached over to hold Emily's hand.

It was comforting to have Jess breeze in to give her support. 'Jess, I don't know what to do. I don't even know if I should have called you . . .'

'Shush,' said Jess, lowering her voice so that the driver couldn't hear their conversation. 'What are friends for?'

Emily could feel the tears begin to well up and fumbled for her yellow sunglasses. It felt better to have them on, to hide the puffy eyes. 'I can't even sit properly, my bum is so sore.'

'F*ck damn, Em, what happened?' 

Emily told the story, but had to pause several times to wipe her eyes. Jessica didn't pass any judgement but was a good listener. They arrived at the Mandarin Oriental to be greeted by the same doorman as last time. His broad grin indicated he recognised what he thought was Emily, because Emily herself hid behind the sunglasses and wasn't so recognisable.

Ten minutes later, they walked into their room and put the two cases on the double bed. Jessica switched on the kettle to boil some water.

'Okay, Em, let's see it.'

'See what?' 

'You can't sit down properly, you walk like you need a hip replacement. Show me your bum.' Jessica sat on the edge of the bed and watched. 

Emily took her grey Oxford sweatpants off and cautiously shimmied down her panties. 

'Oh my God. Bend over, Em.' Her worried tone of voice emphasised her shock as Jessica came to kneel behind Emily

Emily felt cold hands trail down her bottom. 'My wrists are also bruised from struggling.'

'You need cream. Doesn't look good.'

Emily carefully pulled up her clothes and took the cup of tea offered by Jess, who said, 'got a couple of questions, Em.'

'Go on.'

'Do you still love Scott?'

Emily nodded. 'But I don't like this side of him. I can't go back. I'm angry. This is a secret side of him I don't like. I can't talk about it with him, I think I'll end up screaming at him.' 

'Do you like any part of BD SM?'

'Not yet, probably not. I don't know.'

'Give me permission to go back and meet him to sort this out. I'll pretend I'm you.'

-O-

Scott came in through the front door and called, 'Emily, I'm home.'

'In the sitting room.' 

Scott recognised a coldness in her voice. He expected it and he had some serious apologising to do. Of course he had gone too far, he knew that now.

He walked in to the room. The evening sun cast shadows in grey and cream lines across the wall as it shone through the slattered blinds. 'I'm sorry Emily. Sorry for what happened last night.' He held out the flowers. 'These are for you. And some chocolates.' Scott observed her as she sat on the sofa, but didn't move. He went over and leant down to kiss her cheek. She smelt lovely.