08 | headlines & spotlight

Start from the beginning

I stepped out, covered in my towel, into an empty bedroom. I presumed that Julia was in the kitchen, putting something up for breakfast. I pulled on a nice white shirt with some clean black jeans, apace. I tied my hair into a high ponytail and grabbing my handbag, I walked out of my room.

"I sincerely hope I love to see the day you cook something for me, Liv," Julia chuckled and placed a plate for French toasts before me. I sat on the chair before the breakfast table.

"You really want to live, don't you, Jules?" I laughed out loud and dug into my French toast and to be honest, Julia makes one of the best French toasts I've ever had.

"I will. I just want you to try to cook in this kitchen," she whined and I got up, as I finished my plate. I placed the plate into the dishwasher.

I sat down on the cushion next to the cupboard that had our footwear and I slowly put on a pair of heels that matched with my attire for the day.

"Um, Liv?" Julia called out to me, concerned. I turned back to look at her and there she was, peeping out from the window, ever so carefully.

"Yeah?"

"Do you really want to go today?"

"Why not?"

"Uh, because there's a bunch of reporters and photographers outside our house right now," she said and quickly shut the window.

"What?"

"Yeah."

"Ah, shit."

Julia walked to my side and sat next to me, "Just walk through. Ignore them. Don't reply to them. Just walk past them, confidentally, get into your car and zoom away." I nodded as I took in her advice.

And that's exactly what I did. Sort of.

I opened the door and before I could even blink, flashes appeared before me and I hated it. I hated the attention. It always made me squirm, uncomfortably. I tried walking through those reporters confidentally, but sadly, I looked like an idiot.

"Ma'am, could we have a word with you?"

"Olivia, tell us what you think about Prince Xavier."

"Is everything true?"

I sighed and sincerely thought twice as to whether to bother myself and look at them, and stop in my tracks. However, exactly in those minutes, Julia's words played again in my head, Ignore them. Don't reply to them. Just walk past them, confidentally, get into your car and zoom away.

I got into my car as I wondered how in the world did the celebrities handle this. There were snaps and flashes and so many questions that you just did not want to answer hurled at you.

And the worst part is that the paparazzi never gives up.

The newspaper and news channel vans followed me till the hospital and I was exasperated by then. The commotion at the hospital was definitely not appreciated. I was annoyed because here they were killing the sanctum sanctorum of the hospital.

Luckily, Chen came to my rescue.

"I want you all to leave right now. I will not hesitate to call the police. This is a hospital and we do not want some stupid reporters driving our patients away out of fear. Leave immediately."

That was the thing with Chen. He didn't sugarcoat his words. He didn't fake a smile. Just cut right to the chase.

"Now." And that was all that Chen had to say in his icy tone before the reporters moved back slowly.