chapter 1

odd girl

C R U Z   A L L E N

THE sky was the color of the ocean as if slapped against the shore in front of me. I hum as the sun burns my back and the sand stings my hands. The beach towel does nothing to conceal the heat waves piercing my hands below me and the sand pellets feel like rocks in my hands. My face is plastered up toward the sun and my eyes are closed in relaxation.

The last few days have been hell, with college and my mom low on bills. Even though she said she has it covered, I don't believe her. Moms will say anything to make you feel better, especially my sweet and adoring mother. Good thing I got an scholarship from keeping my grades up through the years, otherwise Id never have gotten through the hell that is high school. 

Just thinking of it makes me want to puke right here in the sand on the lakes beach side. I was such a dick in high school, and didnt care about anything but my mom and my friends. Not even girls. For some reason my dumb brain thought girls were trash but somehow my mom was okay. That is until Noah met Kay. 

Kay and Noah are--or were--known as the power couple in school. They still are, but aren't going to high school anymore. Nope, they are going to college with me. I cant lose the sickening couple no matter how hard I try. 

I say sickening.

Its gross when they get all lovey dovey and bury each others necks with kisses and tickle each other. Nasty. Especially when they feed each other food. But why do I watch it so much? 

For some reason, I cant get over the fact that they have a special thing called true love. I guess it fascinates me, at how two strangers can love each other so much. Noah is even thinking about marriage. I advised him against it, since one of my best friends is already married and all the way in China right now. 

It sucks being the third wheel. And it sucks not being in a relationship. Not that I want one or anything, just...I feel like I want to experience it. Feel it. I just haven't met the right girl.

Kay, being a confident and optimist she is says I will meet someone, and college is most likely going to open my eyes to true love. I brushed her off because I don't want love.

I do.

Dont. 

Do.

Ugh. Filled with frustration, I march into the green lake and start swimming around letting the cold water fill my veins and keep me from punching the water repeatedly. Im so confused as to what I want. 

I want college, but dont want to leave my momma. 

I want love, but I dont.

And its sickening but cute to watch Noah and Kay love on each other. 

"You look confused." 

Bringing me out of my thoughts, I look behind me and see Noah, my best friend, standing in the water without his girl. Thankful for the distraction, I lower myself in the water until my eyes and nose are only above it. I let out a sigh under water and get up to put on a cheery smile. 

Noah has his eyebrow high on his forehead, and his eyes hold a twinkle.

"Want to talk about it?" Noah's hair is wet and folding over his face, and over his one blue eye. His mouth is set in a sad line, and only his torso is sticking out of the water.