"It's a copy of everything I've found."

Eli pulled it towards him, but V standing up distracted him. "You're leaving?"

"I have work in a couple hours. I'm a resident at Rose Hospital."

"That's where I got my stitches" Eli didn't expect her to live so close. "Dr Monroe did it"

"I know him." V said, "He's the one that was attacked." She glanced behind herself, and then leaned into his booth. "It's because of him, that I'm doing this."

"Because he lied?" Eli frowned. He wasn't about to follow her.

"No." V's eyes flashed again, gaining the heated glow from before. "He knew what it was. He knew." She straightened up, and the anger vanished. "My numbers in there. If you learn anything don't hesitate to call. Or if you need help."

"You're going to help me against those things?" A bemused smile curved Eli's lips. He realised it probably came across as mocking.

"I'm tougher than I look" V answered, "And don't be afraid to use what I gave you."

Eli didn't see how files would be of any help, and V didn't explain further before leaving. Maybe they had its weakness? No. She only saw one. If she knew more about them she would have told him now, rather than just write it down.

His buzzing phone distracted him from his thoughts. He pulled it out, deciding he may as well face the music sooner rather than later. "Hi dad"

"Where are you?"

"Bia Blas café. It's in the town next town over." Eli answered.

There were a few beats of silence. Eli could hear his breath through the phone. He wondered if Jenny was hovering the background, waiting to tell his dad not to yell at Eli. "Why aren't you at school?"

I was meeting someone. "I didn't feel like it"

More silence.

"You still there?"

"Next time you want a day off tell me" His dad's voice came calmly through the receiver, "I'll be there in an hour."

"I can get a bus back to the house"

"The bus?" A sigh came through the receiver. "As long as you're home before dinner. Any later and you're in trouble. Okay?"

"Got it" Eli affirmed before hanging up. Jenny was definitely there. He hadn't raised his voice once. Now that he had his phone out, he could see the texts from Cameron sitting in his inbox. He opened them. His confusion and uncertainty sizzled to the surface as he thought about him. Since they're conversation in the bathroom they'd talked. Light, unimportant chatter that ignored the question that had been raised between the two of them. The question Eli didn't have an answer to, and it felt like Cameron did.

Cameron: I can't believe you skipped without me.

Eli: How do you know I'm skipping?

He put the device down, expecting a delayed response, but it pinged immediately.

Cameron: Noah

Eli: He actually spoke to you?

Cameron: Of course not. He just was surprised when Sinclair asked where you were. So, where are you?

Eli: Café

Cameron: Stuffing your face

Eli: I'm drinking coffee