The voice

Leo stared at the paper doors of the dojo, eyes wide, Raph's words replaying over and over in his head.  'Your a sh*t brother"   "i hate you"  "you'll never be splinter".

He felt his eyes well up, a sudden urge to break down and sob taking control of his body, but he fought it off, only letting a single tear slip. He would not be fazed by his brother's words, despite how personal they'd been. His throat seemed to go dry, tongue resembling the surface of sandpaper. "i'll just go.. get a drink.." He muttered to himself, voice sounding raspy and unfamiliar. 

Sliding the door closed behind him he made his way to the kitchen, pouring himself a glass of water. He lifted it to his lips, expected relief from his dry mouth, but instead received a fierce burning sensation. He spat out the water, hands recoiling to his mouth, dropping the glass in the process. It shattered, shards sprinkling across the floor. 

"Leo, are you ok?" Donnie's concerned voice called from down the hall. Leo stared at the small pieces of glass on the floor, eyes clouded with some foreign emotion. He shook it off, bended down to scoop up the broken pieces. "I'm fine." He called back, ignoring the strange sound of his voice. 'Like you'd care anyway'. A voice growled from the back of his mind. He shook his head, pressing these thoughts to the back of his mind, trying to remain focussed on his task. 

'What's wrong fearless, cant except the truth?' The voice taunted, an echoing in his mind. "Just like you cant except what a sh*t leader you are. Your brother are always getting hurt because of you. why cant you be more like splinter."

"Because i'm not him" Leo sighed, gathering the glass in his hands. 

'yeah, you're not. You're useless. You're nothing.' The voice snapped. 

"Shut up.." Leo stood with the glass in his hand, moving towards the bin. He tipped the shards in, hissing in pain at one slit his hand. He stared at the blood trickling down his wrist, heart panicked at the way this did not disturb him. The way it felt needed. Deserved. 

'No.' He thought, rinsing his hand in the sink. Though no matter how hard he tried to convince himself that this was wrong, something about it felt so right, so necessary. 

"Your useless..." 

".....I know."