Chapter Fifty-Four

After the long and tedious picture secession, Meredith was happily taken away from all these people and put into a room. Her dress was finally removed, and she flopped down on a bed. Finally she was able to breathe. Her skin was sticky, like a slime across her chest. Somehow the dress didn't turn a mucky yellow.

Food and water sat on a table nearby, but Meredith just stared up at the ceiling, taking deep breaths. Her fingers were numb, and her hands trembled. Happiness spread through her, but the low day had taken its toll on her body.

"Mere?" asked Harry through the door. "Are you decent?"

"No."

He laughed. "Can I come in?"

"Yes."

While Harry hadn't changed, his jacket had been opened and his gloves were gone. Before the reception, he needed to put on his tux. Either way, he looked good. Coming in, Harry sat on the bed of Buckingham Palace and started to remove her shoes. "You managed to get off the dress, but not the shoes."

"Those things were remarkably comfortable."

"It's nice to know heels can be comfortable." Placing them on the ground, Harry removed his jacket and put it on the chair. "May I join you?"

Meredith patted the bed beside her, and he lied down.

"I don't think we're supposed to share a bed before our wedding night," Harry sighed.

"I think we broke that rule within the first month of knowing each other." Meredith giggled and rolled over. Her long, pale fingers dragged through his orange hair. "You look very handsome, Harry."

"You look stunning."

A blush spread across her skin, making her sticky skin tingle. "It rained today. It's a sign of good luck."

"Bright side of life," he muttered. His blue eyes glistened with the hope of forever happiness. "All the people who don't like us are saying rain means we're not supposed to be together."

"No, it's only their tears since they can't marry you anymore."

Chuckling, Harry shook his head. "It could be that they wanted to marry you, but I stole you away."

"Oh, yes, that's it." She rolled her eyes. "People are basically losing their shit-- sorry, we're British: shite-- over you being now officially off the market."

"I was off the market a while ago."

"Your fans didn't think so-- your Harry Hunters."

The smile froze on his face. "Is that what they call themselves?"

"It's no Cumberbitches, but Harry Hunters does roll off the tongue." Meredith licked her lips. "Can I say that I caught Harry?"

"Were you ever really looking for me?" he asked. "One day you were trying to escape a window, and there I was."

"Maybe if I had known you were at the party...." That wasn't true: if Meredith had known Harry was at the party a few years back in Scotland, she wasn't going to care. Back then, she knew of Prince Harry, but he wasn't on the top of the priorities.

A light tapping came against the windows as the rain increased. Somewhere out there, large crowds awaited them. The day wasn't over yet, even though the crowds wouldn't see them again today. Members of both families, the public, the government and other royal families moved into Buckingham Palace, wearing their best.

Catherine and William had a private reception, but that was neglected here. Eyes were going to be on Meredith again tonight, and she prepared for her. Her other dress was on the dummy in the corner without any creases, just waiting to be worn. It was made especially for tonight, where Meredith could dance the night away while looking elegant.

"Oh," Harry said suddenly, "I have something for you."

"A wedding present?" she asked, sitting up.

"Not really." Harry pulled out a small body of whisky. "I was thinking you might need this for tonight."

"When people tell me I'm an alcoholic, this is why." She didn't even pause as she pressed the bottle to her lips and drank. The whisky burned going down. Her eyes glazed over. Her heart became calmer. In the soft haze that took over her body, Meredith laid on the bed again. "Do you want it?" She dangled the bottle in front of his face.

"No, I'm good."

"Are you trying to stay sober today?"

"No. Wills already gave me some."

"Before the wedding?"

"No. After." Harry arched an eyebrow. "Kyra didn't sneak any whisky in?"

"She's a vodka person, and she did." Meredith pursed her lips. "Jessica confiscated it." Harry laughed, shaking the whole bed, and Meredith giggled too. Vodka probably was going to help Meredith get down the aisle. "Jessica probably needed it anyway, especially after the day she's had."

"Or she earned it?"

"Don't stand up for the lady that makes me get up in the morning."

"I make you get up in the morning."

"Yes, but you make me happy." She kissed his cheek. "She makes angry."

Harry snorted.

Putting out his arm, Meredith pressed her head against his chest, hearing his heartbeat, and Harry drew circles on her shoulder. She became calm when she was this close to Harry. Meredith felt home in his arms. This close to Meredith, Harry felt perfect. The woman Harry loved next to him.

"You need to get ready," he said. "I need to get ready. All the royals are here tonight. I hope you studied." Harry pulled himself away from his wife, and it hurt. At the end of the bed, Harry smiled as his wife refused to move. "You can sleep tonight."

"Oh, no. I have plans for us." Slowly she stood, and the thin piece of cloth she had covering herself came off. Her bra and panties remained on, but even then, Harry knew what was under.

Harry looked away, clearing his throat. "How am I supposed to keep my hands off of you for the next six hours?"

"I don't know." Meredith stepped forward. "You could just say fuck it, and we could just forget it."

Kissing her, Harry wished to do that, but a party was necessary. "Finish up the whisky for me." With a nod, he left the room.

Downing the whisky, she looked around the colorless room. It was the style back then. In the hallways of Buckingham Palace, everything was meant to show class and style, doned in gold and red. This room was away from all that.

Not after a minute after Harry left, Jessica and Kyra walked in, ready to change Meredith back into a princess.