Chapter Forty-Two

Thankfully warm air pushed through Duluth and Superior. It was always a question for warm air in Superior, when so easily the weather turned sour. Catlin Avenue of Superior looked straight into Duluth, where most likely it was warm and sunny. Along Lake Superior, Meredith drove through the long and skinny down until they barely left town, and they returned to Wisconsin Point.

It was breezy as Meredith parked at Lot 3, where Kyra's car was already stationed. She had found her favorite place between the too small and too large of beaches. While people walked past, many averted their gazes into the sand when they say two sunbathing girls. Meredith certainly had her go at people when they stared.

"Are you sure that I should be along?" Harry asked, slamming the door of the car.

"What? You think Kyra is going to care." Meredith rolled her eyes. "If we talk about wedding stuff, I really don't think it's going to matter."

"What about your hen-do?"

"Cath is in charge of that, so I actually have no idea. If there are strippers, blame her." Meredith's feet dug into the sand and she lost her shoes. It was so much easier to walk without shoes. The soft sand rolled across her feet, and the old and dead tree branches threatened to puncture her skin. Harry, on the other hand, almost fell over a few times climbing up the hill.

For all the beaches Meredith had been to, especially while dating and now engaged to Harry, she always came back to this one. Harry remembered this beach because he proposed to her here. By the massive ring on her finger, she said yes.

Kyra didn't even look up as the two pairs of feet approached her.

"Hello, Kyra. How are you?" Harry tried to edge on.

She only waved.

Harry cast a gaze over to her, but Meredith giggled. While there wasn't any hostility between Harry and Kyra, Meredith had explained Kyra couldn't possibly like Harry since Meredith hadn't liked any of Kyra's boyfriends. It was protection for Meredith, Kyra said, while Meredith had wanted to protect Kyra.

"Hiya, Kyra," Meredith laughed.

Jumping up, Kyra squeezed Meredith tightly, until Meredith wasn't able to breathe. Meredith didn't mind, as she held her best friend securely that she wasn't able to escape. She preferred it this way.

When it was finally time to let go, Kyra plopped back down on the ground. "I was thinking after a bit of burning, we'd head to Portland Malt Shoppe." She arched an eyebrow. "I see you didn't even wear a swimsuit, Harry."

"Neither did Mere."

"Meredith is a big girl and can do what she wants."

Meredith shook her head. "Calm, Kyra, calm. Don't scare him off." She collapsed to the ground and breathed in the sun. "I need to marry him yet."

Kyra stuck out her tongue. "Are you burning yet, Harry?"

"I've been here for less than five minutes!"

"Your point?"

"Kyra," Meredith warned.

"Sorry," Kyra responded.

"It's fine." Harry smiled. "I do burn easily, but Mere lathered me up in sunscreen."

Meredith winked. "Kyra, how long do you plan on staying?"

"Until it starts raining."

Harry looked up at the sky and then looked toward Duluth, the west. "I don't see any clouds."

"Oh just wait."

Meredith smiled at Harry. "Superior is a bit like home." Harry loved when she said home. "Any good day is ruined eventually by bad weather."